Summary: Sermon on the words of men and the Word of God.
Words Prov. 25:11
INTRO.: Language is a great gift from God that sets us apart from every other creature. We hear and use many words each day. If you read a newspaper, it may contain hundreds of thousands of words. Words are an important part of life.
We ask, "What’s the good word?" "What’s the latest word on . . ." there is the man of his word and the man of few words. We say’ "Choose your words well, for you may have to eat them." and warn others not to use so many "four-letter words."
Mike Sares, a preacher asks some interesting questions about the words of our language.
Words have great power because of the importance of communication. God demonstrated the power of words when He chose words as the means of communicating with us.
You may be surprised how much the Bible has to say about words.
I. The words of men:
A. They reveal our thoughts: Matt. 12:34
1. They can make us unclean. Matt. 15:15-19
2. Peter used curse words to deny Jesus. Matt. 26:73. His heart filled with fear.
3. "Word prints" can identify people like fingerprints, but words reveal more than our identity.
B. The writer of Proverbs writes of a word aptly spoken:
1. They are precious and beautiful.
2. In seasons of sorrow and discouragement, words fitly spoken can bring relief.
3. ILLUS.: Chris Hodges’ poem.
C. Words have power for both good and evil:
1. Men use "empty words" to deceive. Eph. 5:6
2. We should set an example with speech. I Tim. 4:12
3. ILLUS.: Poem "Five Things In Life . . ."
4. Lies, slander, gossip can destroy.
5. Words can also inspire, edify.
D. Words form a basis for judgement. Matt. 12:36f:
1. "Every careless word." careless words reveal character.
2. What if every word we have said is recorded?
3. "Whatever you say can and will be used against you." A serious warning, it applies to us.
4. Our only escape is in Christ. He wipes the slate clean.
II. The Word of God. Ps. 119:30. "The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."
A. God’s word was first spoken: Gen. 1"3
1. He spoke directly to Adam and Eve and a few others
2. Later, He spoke through the prophets.
3. He often spoke thru visions and dreams.
B. Then the Living word came. John 1:1-18
1. The Eternal God stepped into history. 1, 2
2. The Creator took the form of a creature. 3, 4
3. The invisible spirit took on human flesh. 14.
4. He came to communicate the nature and will of God. Jn. 14:8-10
C. Then the written Word came:
1. It’s the Word for the last days. Heb. 1:1, 2
2. Words record our thoughts. So, God’s thoughts are recorded in the Bible.
3. God gave us the ability to use and understand words so He can communicate with us.
4. This is a gift reserved for men. No other creature makes libraries.
5. His Word is most powerful: Heb. 4:12, 13
D. God’s Word is a saving word.
1. ILLUS. Acts 11:14. God reveals His salvation through His Word.
2. Every recorded conversion involves the Word.
3. The purpose of God’s Word. I Jn. 5:13 "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."
CONC.: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psa. 19:14 should be the prayer of every Christian.
Nor should we ever forget the admonition of James 1:22: "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."
Mike Sares Illus.:
Hey, try to think up a nicer word for euphemism. And while you’re at it, think up a shorter word for abbreviation. And a synonym for Thesaurus.
And why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Why is it that to stop Microsoft Windows, you have to click on "Start"? Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons? Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour? Why isn’t there mouse-flavored cat food? Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections? Why don’t you ever see the headline, "Psychic Wins Lottery"? Why are there Braille labels at drive-up ATMs? Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together? Why can’t women put on mascara with their mouths closed?