Summary: 5 Woes are given as a warning to those who oppress. Though their wicked ways may succeed for a moment in time, the Lord’s judgment will bring their wickedness to an end.
Words of Warning
Won’t all of these take up a taunt against him, with mockery and riddles about him? They will say: Woe to him who amasses what is not his - how much longer? - and loads himself with goods taken in pledge.
Won’t your creditors suddenly arise, and those who disturb you wake up? Then you will become spoil for them. Since you have plundered many nations, all the peoples who remain will plunder you -because of human bloodshed and violence against lands, cities and all who live in them.
Warning to the Thief
- Ill-gotten gain
- Take that which rightfully belongs to another
- Through force or oppression
- Violence and intimidation
- The tools of the trade
- The oppressed will rise up
- The oppressor will become the oppressed
- The riches of conquest will become the plunder of those who rise up
Woe to him who unjustly gains wealth for his house to place his nest on high to escape from the reach of disaster. You have planned shame for your house by wiping out many people and sinning against your own self. For the stones will cry out from the wall, and the rafters will answer them from the woodwork.
Warning against Unjust Gain
- Accumulated wealth
- Through deception, immorality, violence
- Causes false security
- The wealth will protect, defend and deliver
- Creates greater danger
- Possession of unjust gain
- Levels the accusation of evil doing
- Ultimately condemns
Woe to him who builds a city with bloodshed and founds a town with injustice! Is it not from the Lord of Hosts, that the peoples labor only to fuel the fire and countries exhaust themselves for nothing? For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord’s glory, as the waters cover the sea.
Warning to the Cruel & Violent
- Building an empire
- Through violence
- Through captivity
- Through enslavement
- Judgment will come
- The Lord will not allow evil to continue forever
- The promise of a new day
- The glory of the Lord will fill the earth
May His glorious name be praised forever; the whole earth is filled with His glory.
No one will harm or destroy on My entire holy mountain, for the land will be as full of the knowledge of the Lord as the sea is filled with water.
Woe to him who gives his neighbors drink, pouring out your wrath and even making them drunk, in order to look at their nakedness! You will be filled with disgrace instead of glory. You also – drink, and expose your uncircumcision! The cup in the Lord’s right hand will come around to you, and utter disgrace will cover your glory. For your violence against Lebanon will overwhelm you; the destruction of animals will terrify you, because of your human bloodshed and violence against lands, cities and all who live in them.
Warning to those who Exploit
- Degrade and humiliate
- Steal basic human dignity
- Done for pleasure or domination
- What comes around…goes around
- The Lord will bring about the humiliation of the oppressor