Summary: The 4 main points of this sermon were taken from Warren’s Purpose Driven Life,Chapter 13.
SCRIPTURE: John 4 “The Woman at the Well”
TEXTUAL IDEA: Not all worship pleases God
SERMON IDEA: Worship that pleases God is accurate, authentic, thoughtful, and practical.
POINT 1: GOD IS PLEASED WHEN OUR WORSHIP IS ACCURATE
1. Know your target - The God revealed in the Bible
2. Know what is not your target
A. Your emotional response
B. Your pleasure
(1) feeling better
(2) unloading guilt
(3) suffering into heaven
C. Your goals
(1) SS #s
(3) personal growth
APPLY: “Target Practice”
1. Quit painting bulls eyes after your arrows have landed.
2. Lessons from archery
B. well defined
POINT 2: GOD IS PLEASED WHEN OUR WORSHIP IS AUTHENTIC
REASONING: Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and all your strength.
ILLUSTRATION: heart and soul
1. Comes from the right place - Swiss Watch
2. Made by the right person - Holy Spirit
3. “Certificate of Authenticity”
Validated by God
POINT 3: GOD IS PLEASED WHEN OUR WORSHIP IS THOUGHTFUL
REASONING: Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and all your strength. The unfortunate reality that we live collaterally with a body, mind and spirit is that our body tends to demand most of our energy. The first thing most of you did when you came into the sanctuary was find a place to get comfortable. Meaning you found a place to sit down. If you’ve been here more than a few times you have likely tried out different spots. You chose the spot you now occupy due to physical concerns.
1. I can see best from here. 2. I can hear best from here. 3. It is warmer or cooler here. 4. I prefer to sit with a speaker to my left so it is easier to look up and down from my Bible or notes. Beth, being left handed, prefers just the opposite. If one of us doesn’t put spiritual concerns first, we couldn’t sit together. That’s why you always see us sitting on the right side of the sanctuary.
If there were no place to sit, how many of us would choose this place to worship? Our primary concerns should not be physical when we worship.
Thoughtless - Be specific and take the time to think of new ways to communicate your feelings toward God. If your boss suddenly began using the expression “thank you”, you would initially take note of that and the mood in your work place would improve. After several weeks, that effect would wear off, for you would become used to hearing it and it would seem to have less meaning. Suddenly, one day he says “this will help a lot”. Now you both recognize the value in your relationship! Soon you start hearing “I appreciate the extra time you spent on this.” “You did that well.” “You are making a difference here.” Don’t you think God deserves the same?
APPLY: To look at how we should apply this concept we turn to 1 Cor 14, where Paul gives instructions on how to put some thought into our meetings. “Everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way”. If we don’t apply our minds to worship services they will become careless and vain. But, if you put some thought into it, our worship can become a powerful witness to those seeking Jesus.