Summary: This is the 8th sermon in the "Discipleship" series. This sermon answers the questions of why we worship Jesus Christ.
Sunday Morning October 28, 2001 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: Discipleship #8
WORSHIP THE LAMB OF GLORY
1. As this series comes to a close, we have identified who to follow, why we follow Him, how we are to look as individuals, and how we are to behave as a church.
2. This morning, let’s look at why and how we honor the One in whom we follow.
3. Turn with me to Revelation 5.
4. We find that God holds in His hand a scroll. Seven seals seal this scroll. John could not read the scroll because it was rolled up, but notice that there was writing on both sides meaning that the scroll was completed. Also notice that no one could be found to break the seals and that is why John is bitterly weeping. If the scroll could not be opened, then God’s plan could not be completed. We do see that only One can break the seals and it is Jesus Christ.
5. Beginning in verse 5, we see a worship service occurring. I want us to discover this morning four reason why we worship Jesus Christ.
I. Because Of Who He Is (Revelation 5:5-7)
A. The Lion Of The Tribe Of Judah
1. In Genesis 49:8-10 Jacob gives Judah the scepter, which was prophesying that Judah would become a tribe of kings.
2. The lion symbolizes dignity, courage, and victory.
B. The Root Of David
1. Jesus was in the line of David, but Jesus was there when David was created.
2. Don’t forget that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
C. The Lamb
1. We read in Scripture that the blood from a spotless lamb would be required in order to cleanse our sins.
2. This Lamb in our text has seven horns and seven eyes which are the seven spirits of God.
a) Seven in a perfect number.
b) We have here, perfect power (seven horns), perfect wisdom (seven eyes), and perfect presence (seven spirits in all the earth).
c) Theologians call this omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence. These are all attributes of God. Jesus is God the Son.
II. Because Of Where He Is (Revelation 5:6)
A. Jesus Is In Heaven
1. Not the manger.
2. Not the cross.
B. Jesus Is In The Center
1. All creation centers on Him.
2. All God’s people center around Him.
3. The angels around Him praise Him.
C. Jesus Is At The Throne
1. We worship the living, reigning Lamb of God.
2. Jesus is at the center of all things and should always be at the center of our worship.
III. Because Of What He Does (Revelation 5:8-10)
A. When The Lamb Took The Scroll
1. The weeping ended.
2. Praises began.
B. Praise and Prayer
1. Notice that praise and prayer are together.
2. The prayers of the saints are so precious that God has saved them.
C. The Song
1. Worship Hymn
a) The word worship means to ascribe worth.
b) Our worship is to be Christ centered.
2. Gospel Song
a) “You were slain”.
b) The Gospel we proclaim is centered on the cross, and the blood of Jesus Christ that gives us the victory.
3. Missions Song
a) Jesus died for all.
b) John 3:16.
4. Prophetic Hymn
a) “They will reign on earth”.
b) This is telling us about Jesus 1000-year reign here on this earth with all of the saints.
IV. Because Of What He Has (Revelation 5:11-14)