Summary: There is a last night for everyone, a last breath, a last statement. All of us are weighed in God’s balances - every day.
OPEN BIBLES TO Daniel 5 & 1 Corinthians 1.26
1. Leaders come and go.
a. Even though they are confident that their reign will last forever, it doesn’t. EVER. NEVER. Leaders, they come & go.
Psalm 75.7 But God is the Judge: He puts down one, And exalts another.
FOR SURE: Nebuchadnezzar was that kind of guy. I’ll rule forever!
• Bow down to my image. Look at my gardens.
• My kingdom, My reign, My life… will last forever.
• THOSE WERE FAMOUS LAST WORDS!
• But it didn’t. He passed on. AND History tells us that he died on October 7, 562 BC. He lived a wild life… ups & downs.
• But I believe we’ll meet Nebuchadnezzar in heaven… one of the many UNREACHABLES that God REACHED in a BIG WAY!
NOW for about 6 years after his death there was a vicious fight going on for the rule of the Babylonian Kingdom.
• Assassinations. Conspiracies. Secret Plots.
• Finally, a king named Nabonidus came to power.
• His son was Belshazzer whom we meet today.
• He was left in control of Babylon while his dad was off in Arabia
I. (5:1-4) A WILD PARTY
1. (1) A Big Party
a. Belshazzar has an idea: Dad’s out of town so let’s call all the nobles together and party.
b. We’ll drink a lot. And we’ll make a lot of stupid decisions!
2. (2-4) Serious Mistakes.
a. Of course, we’ve studied this in depth before, but alcohol causes so many problems & sorrows.
b. Estimated that Americans spend $33 Billion a year on alcohol
c. For every person addicted to heroin, there are 15 hardcore alcoholics in our nation.
d. It’s a problem now just like it was a problem then.
The alcohol in Belshazzar’s system caused him to defy God!
• He took the vessels (v2) that Nebuchadnezzar took from the Temple when Jerusalem was conquered.
• They were sacred & holy & set apart to honor & serve God!
• We never read of Nebuchadnezzar defiling them, and Belshazzar grew up in that environment. He knew better.
BUT HE decides to call for them & use them in this drunken orgy.
• He’s showing everybody in Babylon that they’re nothing.
• And that he has no respect for the God which they represent!
• And we see… in v4, they used them and enjoyed them!
Why? Why is he doing this? I mean I understand that he wants to party and that he likes to drink, and that can alter his thinking.
• But why? Why do people make these kinds of bad decisions?
• Blindness. He doesn’t really see that it’s wrong.
• He’s spiritually blind and acting like it!
NOTE: There’s a great contrast between the great & gracious God of the universe who loves man and uses man…
• And the god of this age, Satan who is hateful and hurtful and instead of using man, he abuses man, horribly.
• Let’s turn first to 1 Corinthians 1:26-29
APP: And so If I’m blinded, and I don’t see God at the pinnacle of my life, then my value system is in need of change & adjustment!
• The problem is that I don’t know… LISTEN CAREFULLY.
• If you’re here today and you’re partially or completely blind when it comes to spiritual things, you don’t’ see their value.
• The message from God’s Word doesn’t really click with you.