Summary: This is the 3rd sermon in the "Requirements For Revival" series. This sermon is about the importance of prayer.
Sunday Morning, June 23, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Requirements For Revival¡¨ [#3]
1. This morning, we will continue in our series, ¡§Requirements For Revival¡¨. Stand with me as we read 2 Chronicles 7:14.
2. This morning we are going to focus on prayer. So often, this is our problem as Christians. We do not focus on prayer. This is not a new problem.
3. Turn with me to Mark 11:15-17.
1. Jesus walked into the temple area and what He found was a shopping mall.
2. At that point Jesus began to throw tables over and driving the people out of the temple.
3. In verse 17, Jesus asked them a very important question. Read this verse with me again.
1. Please notice that Jesus did not say, ¡§My house will be called a house of preaching¡¨ or ¡§a house of singing¡¨. Now there is nothing wrong with preaching and singing. In fact we are suppose to have these things, but the focus is prayer.
2. Remember also that as believers, the temple of God is us. The Holy Spirit lives with in us.
3. The point is simple, ¡§If you want revival in your life, you are going to have to stop focusing on all that other stuff¡¨ and start focusing on prayer.
The Don¡¦ts of Prayer
1. Don¡¦t ¡§show off¡¨
2. Don¡¦t babble.
3. Don¡¦t be like the pagans. This is why 2 Chronicles 7:14 ask you to humble yourself first and then pray.
The Do¡¦s Of Prayer
1. Approach God with praise and adoration. God is a personal God. He is ¡§Our Father¡¨.
2. After we approach God, then we are to make our request known to God. There are two areas of request:
„« God-centered prayer (vs.10). These request are focused around God¡¦s will and purpose.
„« Men-centered prayer (vs.11-13). These request are for not just our personal need, but also one another¡¦s. There are four areas that we should ask for:
3. We should continue our prayer by affirming God¡¦s power and desire to hear and answer our prayer. In some manuscripts of the Bible, ¡§For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory for ever, Amen¡¨ is not included. I¡¦m so glad that God hears and answers my prayers.
1. What priority do you have on prayer?
2. Is prayer your time to complain and ask for things or is prayer a time that you seek your Heavenly Father for direction and guidance.
3. If Jesus walked through our doors today, would this be a house of prayer or a house of something else?