Summary: How to live as a citizen of heaven and earth.
YOU AND YOUR GOVERNMENT 13:1-7
* This sermon was put together after much study and the influence of teachers such as Adrian Rogers, Tom Elliff, Warren Weirsbe, J. Vernon McGee, John McArthur, Chuck Swindoll and conservative Bible Commentaries, all of which were great helps to grow my understanding of the passage and to clarify it’s truths)
Idaho sheep rancher: was approached one day by a stranger in a suit. He said, ¡¥If I can guess how many sheep you¡¦ve got, may I have one?¡¦ Thinking this to be impossible the rancher agreed. ¡¥You have 1,795 sheep¡¦. Stunned by the correct answer the rancher told him to choose his sheep. The man selected an animal and slung it over his shoulder and started to walk away. The rancher said, ¡¥Hey if I can tell you who your work for can I have that animal back?¡¦ OK You work for the government. How did you figure that out? Well, put my dog down and I will tell you. Not much respect for government in America today, especially with all that we have experienced in the past month.
„h Paul moves from stressing what our individuals responsibilities are to each other to reminding us how we are to respond to the government.
„h Many drop-outs today from government involvement:
1) See government as social gospel. Only makes the world a better place to go to hell from.
2) Given up hope and believe we have passed the point of no return.
3) See politics as dirty and contaminating. Leaders as only corrupt individuals with wicked intentions.
4) Intimidated by anti-christian groups like ACLU, NOW, who feel that Christians should be quieted as a voice.
„h For Paul the question is no can you be a Christian and involved in government but can you be a Christian and not be involved in government. We have been called out of this world but still live in it. Being citizens of heaven does not minimize our responsibilities here on earth but actually the Christian citizen out to be the best citizen.
„h Paul states that, ¡¥Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities¡¦. Strong statement about the right of governments to rule and our responsibility to support them. WHY
1. Human Government is Ordained by God For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
Weirsbe: God has established three institutions( home ¡V church ¡V government) ordained means originated from God. His idea.
a. But what if a government is bad? Paul was writing this statement under a new edict that made Christianity illegal, a new Caesar named Nero in power. Jesus had been crucified by this same government. Homosexuality was rampant among Rome¡¦s leaders.
b. Governing authorities is literally ¡¥powers that be¡¦. It is more than just Presidents or Congress but all who are in positions of authority. Even respect for the dog-catcher
(2) Therefore whoever resists authority has oppposed the ordinance of God: and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
c. What kind of Government is God¡¦s kind? Paul wrote under a Roman rule but made no distinction of kind.