Summary: We have a rich and glorious inheritance in Christ – God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in Him! We are God’s masterpiece – His greatest creation.
DESTINY #2: YOU ARE GOD’S MASTERPIECE
(May 2010 – Beausejour Church – Pastor Chris Jordan)
REVIEW WEEK #1:
Last time, we started a series in the Book of Ephesians. The first three chapters talk about what God has done for us. The last three chapters talk about what God wants us to do for Him.
• In part #1, we looked at how every one of us has a purpose – a destiny – in Christ.
• Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
• We studied Ephesians Chapter One, and learned that in Christ:
• We are CHOSEN, ADOPTED, ACCEPTED, REDEEMED & FORGIVEN
THE BIG IDEA: We have a rich and glorious inheritance in Christ – God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in Him! We are God’s masterpiece – His greatest creation.
1. WHO WE WERE BEFORE CHRIST:
“1 Once you were dead, doomed forever because of your many sins. 2 You used to live just like the rest of the world, full of sin, obeying Satan, the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. 3 All of us used to live that way, following the passions and desires of our evil nature. We were born with an evil nature, and we were under God's anger just like everyone else.” (Eph. 2:1-3, NLT).
• Before Christ, the Bible says that we were ‘dead men walking’.
• We USED to live like the rest of the world – sinful lives:
• Saul’s testimony – before Christ, he was a religious zealot who persecuted Christians.
• My testimony – before Christ, drinking, girls, etc. I was a professional sinner!
• Satan is the one who works in the hearts of the disobedient.
• “In those days you were living apart from Christ. You were excluded from God's people, Israel, and you did not know the promises God had made to them. You lived in this world without God and without hope.” (Eph. 2:12, NLT).
• We WERE (past tense) under God’s anger, but not anymore… Why? How?
2. WHAT GOD DID FOR US IN CHRIST:
“4 But God, who is RICH in MERCY, because of His GREAT love with which He loved us,
• BUT GOD – one of the big ‘buts’ of the Bible: RICH in MERCY…
• Mercy = God doesn’t give us the punishment our sins deserve because of JESUS!
• GREAT LOVE – how much did He love us?
• “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8). LOOK at the Cross!
• “BEHOLD what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us.” (1 John 3:1).
5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6 and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding RICHES of His GRACE in His KINDNESS toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Eph. 2:4-9).
• What did God to for us? Made us ALIVE, RAISED us up, SEATED in heavenly placed IN CHRIST – our inheritance! Chosen, Adopted, Accepted, Forgiven, Redeemed!
• We are saved by grace – God’s undeserved favour – it’s all a gift!
“14 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. 17 And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. 18 For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. 19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.” (Ephesians 2:13-22).