Summary: Edmund Burke said, "All that is necessary for evil to prosper is that enough good men do nothing." Our world needs real-life superheroes. YOU can be a superhero! Find out how...
YOU CAN BE A SUPERHERO!
THESIS: OUR WORLD NEEDS REAL LIFE SUPERHEROES! YOU CAN BE A SUPERHERO!
OPENING: Discuss the new movie Superman Returns: Early in the film, Jor-El tells his son, “Even though you’ve been raised as a human being you’re not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all…I have sent them you, my only son.”
Of all the different superheroes, Superman is a real evident type of Christ. Sent to earth by his father, only son, to be a Light to show the Way? That’s just like Jesus!
REAL LIFE HERO STORY: At Cultus Lake two summers ago when Tori was stung by bees. Three teenage girls came and helped rescue her, even though they got stung themselves.
KEY TEXT: “Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?" That’s exactly what Jesus did. He didn’t make it easy for himself by avoiding people’s troubles, but waded right in and helped out. "I took on the troubles of the troubled," is the way Scripture puts it.” (Romans 15:1-3, The Message).
BEING A SUPEHERO ILLUSTRATED: THE GOOD SAMARITAN:
"30 Then Jesus answered and said: "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, F82 he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ’Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you." (Luke 10:30-35).
HOW CAN YOU BECOME A SUPERHERO?
1. Get into the Word. The Word of God is powerful, and when it is working mightily in you, your faith is strengthened! (Aquaman gets his strength from being in the water)
2. Pray. The more time you spend with Jesus, the world’s greatest superhero, the more you’ll become like Him. (Acts 4:13). (Superman gets his strength from the yellow sun)
3. Refuse to do nothing! Edmund Burke said, “All that is necessary for evil to prosper is that enough good men do nothing.”
STORY: Of the couple on the flight from Calgary. She was freaked out to fly. Introduced myself to them and prayed for her. She said after, “That was the best flight I ever had!” Just a simple gesture, but part of refusing to do nothing!
WHY DO WE NEED TO BECOME SUPERHEROES?
1. Our highest calling as believers is to love God… and love people.
“Jesus said to him, "’You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ’You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:37-39).
2. If we don’t love other people - we don’t really love God.
“Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love…If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?” (1 John 4:7-8,20).
3. Being a superhero - helping people - is the surest sign that revival is upon us!
“Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, How can I help?” (Romans 15 Scripture).
- You show me people who really love & care for one another, I’ll show you revival!
PRACTICAL APPLICATION: How do we do this?
Make a commitment to focus on relationships & loving people
1. Talk to people! Find out what’s going on in their lives.
2. Give them lots of hugs - the healing touch.
3. Speak kind words to people - words that bring life.
4. Never pass up an opportunity to pray for someone.
CHALLENGE: Let’s all commit to being the superheroes God wants us to be!