Summary: The more passionate your love for Jesus, the more sensitive your radar will be for all that contradicts Jesus.
A. Previous Teaching On Antichrist
B. SermonCentral.com – sermon titled “THE OMEN: IS THE ANTI-CHRIST COMING TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU?”
II. WHAT YOU NEED TO RECOGNIZE THE ANTICHRIST?
A. Term “Antichrist” – An Extreme Term (notice, John was only one to make direct mention of “Antichrist”)
1 John 2:18 “… as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour”
1 John 2:22 “Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.”
1 John 4:3 “… the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.”
2 John 7 “For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.”
B. John Was A Bit Of An Extremist
1. He & his brother – “sons of thunder” – temperment issues
2. Said what they thought – without second thought or restraint
a. got that from their mother – Mrs. Zebedee
b. “put my sons on your right & your left”
3. Perhaps that’s why God entrusted the Revelation visions to John
a. God knew that he’d broadcast it without second thought
b. God knew that he’d write it all out without restraint
4. The term “Antichrist” – not exactly politically soft or correct – it’s extreme
C. Was John Extreme About Anything Else? Yes! Notice That Apostle John Was The Only One Referred To, “Disciple Whom Jesus Loved”
1. Four Times John Is Called That
John 19:26 - When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "Woman, behold your son!"
John 20:2 - Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved , and said to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him."
John 21:7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!"
John 21:20-22 Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, "Lord, who is the one who betrays You?"
2. John is the only one who calls himself that
a. was it true? we don’t know –John was part of inner circle of Jesus
- Mt. Transfiguration / at Lazarus’ tomb
- only He & Peter followed closely behind after the arrest
- He & Peter first to resurrection tomb
b. was not Peter equally loved by Jesus or equally love Jesus?
c. Grotius designates
- Peter as the lover of Christ – son of living God
- John as the lover of Jesus – son of man
d. the self-proclaimed title “the disciple whom Jesus loved”
- call it self-absorbed if you want
- but at least he was the only one bold enough to say it
D. Only One Bold Enough To Speak Of That Personal Love, Also The Only One Now Bold Enough To Later Speak Of Anti-Christ
1. Love Is A 2-Sided Coin – Has A Tender Side & A Terrifying Side
2. Love has its side of vehemence
a. illustration – mother loves her children - do everything to protect
b. illustration – couple that loves passionately, argues passionately