Summary: If you are a child of God, then you have a priceless and limitless inheritance. As children of God we are heirs of God and coheirs with Christ. We are trust-fund kids! Let's live like it!
A. One day, two friends happened upon each other walking down the street.
1. One of them looked sad and was almost on the verge of tears.
2. The other man said, “Hey my friend, what is making you so sad today?
3. The sad fellow said, “Let me tell you - three weeks ago, an uncle died and left me 50 thousand dollars.”
4. The other man replied, “I can see why your uncle’s passing would make you sad, but I would think that the inheritance would help to raise your spirits.
5. “Hold on,” the sad fellow said, “I’m just getting started. Two weeks ago, a cousin I never knew kicked-the-bucket and left me 95 thousand dollars.”
6. The other man replied again, “I am so sorry for your loss, but I am happy for your gain!”
7. The sad man continued, “Then last week, my grandfather passed away and I inherited almost a million from him.”
8. The other man was astounded, “So let me get this right. Three weeks ago you inherited 50 thousand. Two weeks ago you inherited 95 thousand. And last week you inherited 1 million. So, why are you looking so sad?”
9. The sad man replied, “So far this week, I’ve inherited nothing!”
B. Okay, okay, don’t groan too loudly!
1. I know that none of us would have that kind of reaction if we inherited about 1.2 million dollars in a three week period, right?
2. Most of us would be very sad for the loss of our family members, but would be very thankful for our financial gain.
3. So, let me ask you this question: Are you anticipating a substantial earthly inheritance?
4. Are you in line for a big windfall from the passing of a wealthy parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle?
5. If not, then you are in pretty good company, because most of us are not expecting a lucrative earthly inheritance.
C. But here is the awesome news I have for us today: If you are a child of God, then you have a priceless and limitless spiritual inheritance. (Let me say it again in case you missed it! Repeat)
1. This is one of the great promises that we have from God – every child of God will receive an inheritance.
2. Let’s see where that promise is clearly stated in Scripture.
D. Let’s start with Romans 8:16-17: 16 The Spirit himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God’s children, 17 and if children, also heirs—heirs of God and coheirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with him so that we may also be glorified with him.
1. If you and I are children of God, then we are heirs of God and coheirs with Christ.
2. Let’s let that reality sink into our hearts and minds – we aren’t merely slaves or servants of God, and we aren’t just saints of God – no, we are children of God and therefore heirs of God.
3. As God’s children, we have legal right to the family fortune of heaven; we are beneficiaries.
4. The heavenly will has been executed and our spiritual account has been fully funded.
E. Think about it this way: you and I are trust-fund kids.
1. Our Heavenly Father is rich beyond imagination with every kind of wealth imaginable.
a. 1 Chronicles 29 includes these truths about our Heavenly Father: “11 Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the splendor and the majesty, for everything in the heavens and on earth belongs to you. Yours, Lord, is the kingdom, and you are exalted as head over all. 12 Riches and honor come from you, and you are the ruler of everything. Power and might are in your hand, and it is in your hand to make great and to give strength to all. 13 Now therefore, our God, we give you thanks and praise your glorious name.”
b. How’s that for a description of who God is, what kind of power He has and what God owns?
c. God has all power and glory, splendor and majesty.
d. God owns everything in heaven and on earth.
e. God is the one who gives riches and honor, and gives power and strength.
2. Our rich and powerful Heavenly Father has fully funded our trust-fund accounts.
a. Ephesians 1:3 says: Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavens in Christ.
1. Notice that God has not blessed us with just a few spiritual blessings, or some spiritual blessings; no, God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing.
b. 1 Peter 1:3-4 says: 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead 4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you. (How about that!)