Summary: The devil has deceived them into thinking that his word, rather than God's Word is the truth.
Pastor Allan Kircher SPBC
Galatians 6: 7-8
Reaping What We Sow
Galatians 6:7-8: "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit will reap eternal life.”
This principle/apostle Paul shares with us in Gal. 6 has been around for a long time.
• In fact, Paul was not the first to say it.
• Jesus taught that principle in His parables.
Remember the parable of the weeds? Matt 13:24-30
• Explain parable….Farmer/good seed
• "If wheat & weeds are growing side by side
• Two kinds of seed have been planted."
• Wheat seed doesn’t produce weeds
• & weeds don’t produce wheat.
Back /O.T., in Hosea 8:7, the prophet Hosea said, "If you sow the wind, you will reap the whirlwind."
further back, in Exodus 21:24 Moses says, "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, wound for wound." Moses is talking about sowing & reaping.
And we can even go back to Genesis 1:11 where God forms the earth & says,
"Let the ground bring forth grass, & the herb yielding seed, & every fruit bearing tree bring forth fruit after its own kind. And it was so."
• The principle of sowing & reaping is as old as life itself.
• What you sow is what you reap.
Eternal principle/preceded by very disturbing words
"Do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked."
• Why did Paul add those words?
• Is it possible for us to be deceived?
• Maybe we think we have pulled the wool over God’s eyes, that God doesn’t see what we are doing,
• Or know what is going on inside our hearts & minds.
Hey, don’t deceive yourselves. You are not deceiving God.
God knows what kind of seed you are sowing, & whatever kind of seed you sow, that is the kind of seed you will reap when the harvest day comes."
If we are high-minded and conceited, (Arrogant,Loving)
we will get just what we give.
• This is God's rule.
• This is a principle which God has set down.
• What a man sows, that is what he reaps.
• That's quite a sobering thought, a very important principle, something that we ought to take note of as we live our lives.
• This is a role which we can’t set aside.
• This is not something that can be pushed aside.
• We can’t just forget it’s not there.
• This rule abides as surely as the God of heaven abides.
• Therefore we better be careful what we do.
• We better be careful what we sow because what we sow, we will reap.
I. The Deception and Mocking
The apostle begins/warning: "Be not deceived."
• word "deceived" means "to be led astray,"
• To be led astray either by yourself or by someone else.