Summary: The devil has deceived them into thinking that his word, rather than God's Word is the truth.
Pastor Allan Kircher SPBC
Galatians 6: 7-8
Reaping What We Sow
Galatians 6:7-8: "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit will reap eternal life.”
This principle/apostle Paul shares with us in Gal. 6 has been around for a long time.
• In fact, Paul was not the first to say it.
• Jesus taught that principle in His parables.
Remember the parable of the weeds? Matt 13:24-30
• Explain parable….Farmer/good seed
• "If wheat & weeds are growing side by side
• Two kinds of seed have been planted."
• Wheat seed doesn’t produce weeds
• & weeds don’t produce wheat.
Back /O.T., in Hosea 8:7, the prophet Hosea said, "If you sow the wind, you will reap the whirlwind."
further back, in Exodus 21:24 Moses says, "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, wound for wound." Moses is talking about sowing & reaping.
And we can even go back to Genesis 1:11 where God forms the earth & says,
"Let the ground bring forth grass, & the herb yielding seed, & every fruit bearing tree bring forth fruit after its own kind. And it was so."
• The principle of sowing & reaping is as old as life itself.
• What you sow is what you reap.
Eternal principle/preceded by very disturbing words
"Do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked."
• Why did Paul add those words?
• Is it possible for us to be deceived?
• Maybe we think we have pulled the wool over God’s eyes, that God doesn’t see what we are doing,
• Or know what is going on inside our hearts & minds.
Hey, don’t deceive yourselves. You are not deceiving God.
God knows what kind of seed you are sowing, & whatever kind of seed you sow, that is the kind of seed you will reap when the harvest day comes."
If we are high-minded and conceited, (Arrogant,Loving)
we will get just what we give.
• This is God's rule.
• This is a principle which God has set down.
• What a man sows, that is what he reaps.
• That's quite a sobering thought, a very important principle, something that we ought to take note of as we live our lives.
• This is a role which we can’t set aside.
• This is not something that can be pushed aside.
• We can’t just forget it’s not there.
• This rule abides as surely as the God of heaven abides.
• Therefore we better be careful what we do.
• We better be careful what we sow because what we sow, we will reap.
I. The Deception and Mocking
The apostle begins/warning: "Be not deceived."
• word "deceived" means "to be led astray,"
• To be led astray either by yourself or by someone else.
The world/filled/people who have been deceived
• People who think that the lie is/truth and the truth is/lie.
That is why so few people care anything about the Gospel of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
• They been deceived into thinking that the Gospel is the lie.
• They follow the Devil instead of the truth
• The devil has deceived them into thinking that his word, rather than God's Word is the truth.
• We read/Devil/deception in Rev Chap 12:9: "The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
• It began way back/beginning/history with our mother, Eve.
• He first tricked Eve in the garden.
He deceived her to think his word/truth rather/God’s word.
• He’s been doing that ever since!
• And will continue till the end of the age.
• Folks, he doesn’t work alone!
• He has raised many false prophets/teachers who follow him.
• Who lead people/Christians astray.
Jesus speaks/Matthew Chapter 24; 4-5: "Watch out that no one deceives you. For many will come in my name, claiming. ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.”
• We see that all about us right now.
• Many people, hundreds/thousands/millions of people
• have been deceived into following false Christ’s
• Rather than the true Christ.
This is why there is so much sin/wickedness in the world today.
• There/relationship between truth/holiness—lie/sin.
• Truth leads to Godly living.
• The lie leads to wicked living.
If a man doesn’t have truth, he can do nothing but sin.
If a man/live/Godly life he must know and love the truth.
That’s why it’s so important for us/knowledge of the truth.