Summary: What is your "Final Answer" at the moment you take your very last breath?
Sunday Morning June 24, 2001 Bel Aire Baptist Church, Hobbs, NM
Series: Out Of This World [#1]
YOUR LAST BREATH
1. One of my favorite game shows is “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?”.
2. The show has you sitting at the edge of your seat during each question because it only takes one wrong answer and the contestant is out. There are no second chances.
3. Just like the game show, at the moment you die, your chances are up.
4. Let’s look this morning at what happens after you take your very last breath.
I. Your Final Answer
A. Game Show
1. In the game show after each answer is given, Regis ask, “Is that your final answer?”.
2. When the contestant says yes, there is no turning back.
B. Scripture (Luke 16:19-26)
1. At the moment of death Lazarus and the rich man had both given their final answer. Lazarus’ answer was God, the rich man’s was not God.
2. Notice that neither man could change his final answer even though they had no idea when they were to give that answer.
1. We too will die and at that moment will have already answered either yes or no to Jesus Christ as our Savior.
2. That is why you must make sure you have said yes to Jesus before your final answer is taken. It is not too late for you yet because you are still breathing.
II. Life Lines
A. Game Show
1. Each contestant is given three life lines.
a. Call a friend.
c. Ask the audience.
2. The contestant can use each of these one time whenever they choose.
3. Many times, not all of the life lines are used before they are out of the game.
B. Scripture (Luke 16:27-31)
1. We see in these verses that the rich man realizes that it is too late for him but he is really worried about his brothers.
2. We see here that the rich man wants to give his brothers a life line but he cannot because the life lines are all already there and they have not used them.
3. Notice that the individual has to take the life line, no one else can do it for them.
1. We have also been given life lines. Some of us have already used our life line while others have not.
2. Our life line is the Word of God that tells us that all have sinned and the punishment of that sin is death. The Word also tells us that Jesus Christ paid the price for our sins and therefore is our life line.
3. All we have to do is take that life line, but if we refuse to accept the eternal life that comes through Jesus we will lose eternally in hell.
III. Win Or Lose?
A. Game Show
1. During the game, a contestant can quit and take the money at particular amounts.
2. Very few have one the million dollars.
B. Scripture (John 3:16-18)
1. In this passage, Jesus is telling this man Nicodemus how to win or lose eternal life with God.
1. Here lies the main difference between the game show and eternal life: There is no half-way winners.
2. You either win in heaven or lose in hell. There is no in between. No ties.
1. If you were to stop breathing today, what would your final answer be?
2. If that answer is no to Jesus, can you live with that answer in hell forever?