Summary: Part of the Lord's prayer - Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reason #1: It is hard to pray, because it means giving up control of your own life.
Reason #2: It is hard to pray, because we often doubt that God wants the best for us.
Reason #3: It is hard to pray, because God’s will sometimes involves suffering and pain
• The Lord’s prayer as recorded in Mathew’s gospel;
• Is probably the most prayed prayer ever spoken;
• Just think how many times it was recited, sung or prayed;
• Throughout this country and around the world;
• Too many to number.
• Yet amazingly when you stop to analyse its content;
• It is a wonder anyone dare pray it all!
• I cannot say OUR;
• If my religion has no room for others and their needs.
• I cannot say FATHER;
• If I do not demonstrate this relationship in my daily life.
• I cannot say WHO ART IN HEAVEN;
• If all my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.
• I cannot say HALLOWED BE THY NAME;
• If I, who am called by his name am not holy.
• I cannot say THY KINGDOM COME;
• If I am unwilling to give up my own sovereignty and accept the righteous reign of God.
• I cannot say THY WILL BE DONE;
• If I am unwilling or resentful of having it in my life.
I cannot say ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN;
• Unless I am truly ready to give myself to his service here and now.
• I cannot say GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD;
• Without expending honest effort for it or by ignoring the genuine needs of my fellow men.
• I cannot say FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US if I continue to harbour a grudge against anyone.
• I cannot say LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION;
• If I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.
• I cannot say DELIVER US FROM EVIL;
• If I am not prepared to fight in the spiritual realm with the weapon of prayer.
• I cannot say THINE IS THE KINGDOM;
• If I do not give the King the disciplined obedience of a loyal subject.
• I cannot say THINE IS THE POWER;
• If I fear what my neighbours do or say to me.
• I cannot say THINE IS THE GLORY;
• If I am seeking my own glory first.
• I cannot say FOREVER;
• If I am anxious about each day's events.
• I cannot say AMEN;
• Unless I honestly say "Cost what it may, this is my prayer."
My title for this evening’s sermon is: ‘A hard prayer to pray!’
• As that last quotation reminded us, it is a very hard prayer to pray!
• We have reached the line in our studies that goes:
• “Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”
• Quote: Sometimes we pray "Thy will be changed" rather than "Thy will be done."
• The basic difficulty we face when we pray, "Your will be done."
• Is we are implicitly asking that our wills be overturned.
• And many of us do not want our wills to be overturned.
Now if that part of the prayer wasn’t hard enough Jesus went on to say: