1. There is something inside of us that wants to be remembered.
a. Reason for Monuments; Tombstones
b. Reason for Family Stories and Traditions
2. Mr. Holland’s Opus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8E807R7GkI (4.07-5.36)
3. Jeremiah 29.4-14
I. Be Deliberate with Your Life (29.4-6) – 2 Slides
A. We Can be Proactive or Reactive with Our Lives
1. Decide to be part of the solution, not part of the problem
2. Let God direct and follow – His solutions always work!
A man in South Africa went fishing in his BMW. He parked & marched off through the jungle to fish. When he returned he found that baboons had vandalized his car – broke side mirrors; headlights; wiper blades. //The next time he intended to outsmart them and drove his Mercedes to the same site. His solution was to cover his car with rubber snakes since most primates are deathly afraid of snakes. When he returned he found the baboons throwing rocks at the lifeless snakes. Sometimes the solutions we employ only make the problem worse. We need to follow GOD’S solutions.
B. Seize the Day, Don’t Wait for the “What If?” or the “If Only. . . .” Ephesians 5.15-16
15 Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16 making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.
When you open a jar of peanut butter, you dole it out in generous amounts, because you have a whole jar and you are only using a little at a time. As you get toward the bottom of the jar, you realize that you do not have all that much left, so you carefully measure the portions. You reach for every last amount in each corner of the jar. We tend to treat our time the same way.
1. The Hebrews were discouraged from whining about their circumstances
2. The Hebrews were discouraged from excusing themselves from their responsibilities
3. [Two kinds of Military Families – Don’t want to get involved – only here a short time//Must get involved – only here a short time.
II. Be Generous with Your Life (v. 7) – seek shalom; welfare; prosperity
A. PRAY and Serve Others Selflessly
1. We are COMMANDED to do this – not an option 1 Timothy 6.17-19 – 2 slides
17 As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. 18 They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, 19 thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.
2. Difference Makers will be reflected in Psalm 112.9
He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.
3. Do good deeds for people and connect the good news; full bellies will go to hell just as much as the empty bellies; John 6.27
27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.”
4. God was teaching them to love their neighbors as themselves (Leviticus 19.18)
B. A Proposal – One at a time
1. Look to serve the community by serving ONE at a time
2. Who do you know of/see that needs peace? Comfort? – Reach out!
III. Be Persevering with Your Life (8-14) 2 slides starting at v. 11
A. Love God Passionately!
1. We cannot make a real difference on our own – only by being connected to him
a. Paul used this argument to win the lost – Unknown God – Acts 17.26-28 – 26 And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, 27 that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, 28 for “‘In him we live and move and have our being’; as even some of your own poets have said, “‘For we are indeed his offspring.’
b. God made from one man all nations with intentionality – before Adam he had us on his mind; he determined the times set and the places to live – not random SO people would reach for him; He put the question in us as to why we are here? So we would seek him – he is not far from us;
2. Everything rests on HIM Colossians 1.16 - 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.
B. Make a Difference in Others – Show Love of God by Loving Others
1. His Plans for Them and Us!
2. The reason for the works he has assigned us
Ephesians 2.10 - 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
1. We started with Mr. Holland’s Opus, let’s end there
One day, Principal Jacobs confronts Mr. Holland. She invites him to be part of the textbook committee and he refuses. She says, “For a good 4-5 months I have been watching you. I have never seen a teacher sprint to the parking lot after last period with more speed and enthusiasm than his students. Maybe you should be our track coach.
To which he replies, “Mrs. Jacobs, I get here on time and do the job the very best I can.
Not willing to let her rookie teacher off the hook, Mrs. Jacobs says, “A teacher has two jobs. Fill young minds with knowledge, yes, but more importantly, give young minds a compass so that knowledge does not go to waste. Now, I don’t know what you are doing with knowledge, Mr. Holland, but as a compass, you are stuck.”
With these words she challenges him to put down roots, not to see the job as temporary and put life on hold as he waits for his dream to come true.
2. Here is what I want to be said about each one of us:
36 For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep and was laid with his fathers and saw corruption,