Contributed on Mar 5, 2014
In addition to the rebuilding of the temple and priesthood, the people rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem. They did so as a community of believers.
1. Walls There are many famous walls in history: * Great Wall of China * Berlin Wall * Vietnam Wall * Wall Street is the financial district of New York City, named after and centered on the eight-block-long street in Lower Manhattan. Early Dutch colonists of New Amsterdam built an earthen wall ...read more
Contributed on Apr 15, 2014
The Death and Resurrection of Jesus prove the great power and compassion of God.
1. Symbol of Power Several years ago, Menelik II became emperor of Ethiopia and reigned for 20 years. He was a powerful ruler who transformed his country from a collection of semi-independent states into a united nation. As part of his efforts to modernize his country he ordered 3 electric ...read more
Contributed on Apr 23, 2014
The resurrection of Jesus not only proves his claims and his power, it impacts our daily living.
1. Misplaced Body Sixty-four-year-old Herzlinde Eissler had been admitted to a hospital in Austria with stomach pains. Several days later she left the hospital and was shocked when she discovered why her family had not visited her during her stay. The hospital had made a mistake and told her ...read more
Contributed on May 1, 2014
The church is the representation of Jesus in our world. We are his body enacting his presence.
1. Searching for Children We regularly seem to hear about missing people, especially children. The Department of Justice has a 100 page book that can be downloaded which no parent wants to read. Its title is, "When Your Child is Missing." Key Bullet Points and Action Steps are on the cover -- You ...read more
Contributed on May 19, 2014
God selects unusual people with whom to partner in his work -- Saul of Tarsus and US!
1. [During one of those "teachable moments," a young mother asked her son why they should be quiet in church. The boy replied, "Because so many people are sleeping." Ouch! 2. On behalf of myself and all preachers who may have driven you to sleep in a sermon, please accept my apology. You see, the ...read more
Contributed on Jun 2, 2014
A lesson on the impact of the Apostle Paul on lives of believers.
1. Unexpected Influence Back in the 1800's a skeptic promised a famous British preacher, Alexander Maclaren (1826-1910) that he would attend his church for 4 Sundays. Maclaren told the skeptic that during those sermons he'd present reasons why he should believe in Jesus. The skeptic was true to ...read more
Contributed on Mar 25, 2014
This lesson affirms the beginning of the incarnation of Jesus into the world.
1. Important Births Four expectant fathers were in Minneapolis hospital waiting room, while their wives were in labor. The nurse arrived and announced to the first man, "Congratulations sir, you're the father of twins." "What a coincidence" the man said with some obvious pride. "I work for the ...read more
Contributed on Mar 25, 2014
Jesus began his ministry with at least 2 significant events -- his baptism and his temptation.
1. Greatness During Watergate Back in 1974, Richard Nixon's administration was falling apart due to the Watergate scandal so, to divert everyone's attention from that, he planned a trip to Russia and Italy and two of his closest aides came along... Alexander Haig and Ron Ziegler. Even though' ...read more
Contributed on Apr 2, 2014
Jesus' priority in his ministry was the Kingdom of God. This lesson focuses on the value and power of the kingdom.
1. Thy Kingdom Come Astronaut James Erwin is one of but a few men to walk on the moon. As he stood upon the lunar landscape and looked up at the earth, he prayed for the first time in his life. He thought about the strife among nations, poverty, hunger, and rampant evil; and he thought to himself: ...read more
Contributed on Apr 9, 2014
Regardless of public opinion, what matters is YOUR own decision about Jesus.
1. Pan and the Filth of the World On October 30, 2011, Brian McGuinn's wife of five years, Anna, handed her husband her ring, asking him to put it in her jewelry box while she showered. At the same time, Brian picked up a disposable razor and without thinking, he tossed both into the trash. The ...read more