Summary: Who is Jesus, what must I do to be saved, and what lack I yet are three Bible questions discussed in this sermon outline that are stil be asked today.
Three Questions Asked in the Bible Still Asked Today
The statement that there is nothing new under the sun is certainly applicable to questions asked in the Bible. Since we are still governed by the Law of Christ [the New Testament] (Hebrews 1:1-2 and Matthew 24:35), we can learn a lot from noticing questions asked to Christ and the Apostles and how they answered them. We will look at three questions in this lesson that were asked in the New Testament and we will apply both the questions and the answers to today.
I. Who is Jesus?
A. The question was asked multiple times:
2. Luke 5:21-22
3. John 9:31-38
4. Sadly even some that see do not see - John 12:34-41
5. Acts 8:26-35
B. Jesus is:
1. God Matthew 1:23.
2. The only begotten son of God John 3:16.
3. Our redeemer Titus 2:11-14.
4. Our only way to Heaven John 14:6.
5. Our Judge Romans 14:10.
6. Our Mediator and Advocate:
b. I John 2:1
b. Built Matthew 16:18.
8. The bread of life John 6:35.
9. The Good Shepherd John 10:11-18.
10. The Savior of those whom believe I Timothy 4:10.
II. What Must I Do to Be Saved
A. The question was asked several times:
1. Acts 2:37
2. Acts 16:30
3. Acts 9:6
B. Who is lost?
2. Those who have sinned Romans 6:23
a. Sin is transgression of God’s law I John 3:4
C. The answer is clear throughout the New Testament:
1. One MUST hear the Gospel of Christ and believe it:
a. Romans 10:17
b. Hebrews 11:6
2. One MUST repent of their sins:
a. Luke 13:3;5
b. Acts 3:19
c. Acts 26:20
3. One MUST confess Christ:
a. Romans 10:10
c. Acts 8:37
4. One MUST be baptized:
a. To have their sins remitted Acts 2:38
b. To be in Christ Galatians 3:27
c. To be a new creature II Corinthians 5:17
d. To be in the body of Christ (the church) I Corinthians 12:12-13
e. To be born again John 3:1-5
g. To be buried [showing immersion] in Christ, out of sins, and to walk in newness of life Romans 6:1-6.
h. To be buried with Christ Colossians 2:12
i. To have our sins washed away Acts 22:16
j. Jesus shows us by His example Matthew 3:13-17.
5. There are NINE examples of this plan in the book of Acts:
a. Pentecost Acts 2:36-41
b. Samaritans Acts 8:4-13
c. The Eunuch Acts 8:25-39
d. Paul Acts 9:1-20; 22:5-21; 26:12-19
e. Cornelius Acts 10:44-48
f. Lydia Acts 16:13-15
g. Jailor Acts 16:23-34
h. Corinthians Acts 18:8
i. Ephesians Acts 19:1-7
III. What Lack I Yet
A. Reality – NOT everyone will be in Heaven:
1. A question Luke 13:23.
a. The answer Luke 13:24
B. The question Matthew 19:16-20.
1. The answer Matthew 19:21.
2. The choice Matthew 19:22.
C. We must be willing to surrender all to Christ:
1. Mark 8:34-38
2. We should count the cost Luke 14:25-33