Summary: 7 Reasons to Fear Not:
Isaiah 43:1-7 7 Reasons to Fear Not:
1. The Power of God 1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
A. God Has Created Us 1 But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel,
B. God Has Comforted us. 1 Fear not: for I have redeemed thee,
1. how this “fear” is defined. – to frighten, be (make) afraid, (put in) fear
an emotional terror or an intellectual dread should not be a factor in our hearts or our minds because He has redeemed us. - Calmly facing Death
2. How this “fear” is defeated. -
it is God’s desire that His people be not afraid - Lit. Have No Fear
John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid
“not” negates fear; cancels it, reverses it, excludes it & defeats it
C. God has Claimed us. I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
1. There is a redemptive claim that has made us free.
1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2. There is a relational claim that has made us family:
I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. - “Named and Claimed.”
John 20:16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe; Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow
2. The Presence of God. 2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee:
When thou passest, - Not If ....... The waters are inevitable.
A. His presence insures our preservation in the flood.
1. There is hope in the fact of our crossing. - When thou passest through –
2. There is hope in the fellowship of our companion. - I will be with thee.
B. His presence insures our protection in the fire - when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
1. There is steadfastness in the fire - a deliberate march (No Panic)
2. There is safety in the fire - So that we are not…burned –
George Young was a 19th Century preacher and carpenter when away preaching, some local thugs set fire to the house, “God Leads Us Along.”
Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.
3. The Person of God.