Summary: Have you wondered about the spiritual gift of prophecy? Would God leave Christians to wandering about in darkness in these last days? Or has He provided a bright light for our dark night in the spiritual gift of prophecy? Who is the source of this brig
Pastor E. Douglas Venn
Preached at the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Moscow, ID on October 8, 2005 www.tagnet.org/moscow
God always lights our way in the darkness of these last days
He always shares His plans with us ahead of time through prophets with the spiritual gift of prophecy.
Why does God reveal His plans to me ahead of time? Amos 3:7 To prepare me for what’s next!
God’s Track Record
• God sent Noah before He flooded the world. Genesis 6
• God sent Joseph to Egypt before a great famine. Genesis 45:7
• God sent Moses before freeing the Israelites from slavery. Exodus 3
• God sent Jeremiah to warn of Jerusalem’s impending destruction. Jeremiah 6:1
• God sent Jonah before destroying Nineveh. Jonah 1:2, 3:3
• God sent John the Baptist before Jesus started His ministry. Mark 1:1-4
• God sent Agabus to warn of a great famine. Acts 11:28
God promises to send me just what I need!
1 Corinthians 12 Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to all believers!
Ephesians 4:12 Spiritual gifts equip us to do His work & build up the church, Christ’s body.
Joel 2:28-32 God’s promise to us to give us the gift of prophecy to shine in our darkest days.
“Follow the Emergency Lighting to the Exit”
Adapted from Adventist Evangelism & the Book of Revelation: An Honest & Credible Look
The Testimony of Jesus & the Remnant Church, Session 1 by Jon Paulien, Ph.D., Andrews University
God The Revelation of Jesus What God gave
Angel The Testimony of Jesus What John saw
John The Words of This Prophecy What John wrote
Examine the Evidence: Textual Parallel
See that you don’t See that you don’t
Fellow servant of you Fellow servant of you
Of your brothers Of your brothers
Who have the testimony of Jesus The prophets
And of those who keep the words
Worship God Worship God
Who is the source of this bright light?
Testing For False Prophets
Matthew 24:11 Jesus warned us about false prophets at the end of earth’s history.
1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 Paul wanted us to be sure we did not reject all prophecy.
The Bible gives us tests to distinguish the true from the false:
1. Is the prophecy consistent with God’s Word? Isaiah 8:20
2. Do the predictions come to pass? Jeremiah 28:9
3. Does it help people grow closer to God? 1 Corinthians 14:3
4. Does the prophet acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord God Almighty? 1 John 4:1-3
5. Is the prophet’s life & actions bear good fruit or bad? Matthew 7:15-20
Testing Modern Day Prophets
Douglas S. in Pullman, WA
Keith Hazel, prophet from Calgary, Alberta(LifeLinks fellowship)
Alice Lenshina in Zambia, Africa (Lumpa Church)
Joseph Smith, prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church)
A Bright Light for My Dark Night Revelation 12:17
God’s Remnant will have a visionary, prophetic gift
God’s Remnant will have a New Testament style prophet like John
The Seventh-day Adventist Church role is to present the Remnant message to God’s faithful men & women
To proclaim the Everlasting Gospel of Grace Revelation 14:12
To keep God’s Commandments through the grace gift of the indwelling Holy Spirit Revelation 12:17
The presence of a true prophet like John Revelation 12:17
“A Lesser Light to Guide Me to God’s Word”
The Seventh-day Adventist Church recognizes Ellen Gould Harmon White (1827 - 1915) as having the spiritual gift of prophecy.
1. Believing in Ellen White is not a requirement for being a member or fellowship of this church.
2. All doctrines and practices of the Seventh-day Adventist Church are based entirely on the Bible.
3. Not a single doctrine or practice of the Seventh-day Adventist Church on Ellen White’s writings.
4. It may take years of thoughtful reading & historical research to come to a personal conclusion about the prophetic ministry of Ellen White.
5. Distinct dangers for Seventh-day Adventist Christians:
a. The heresy of replacing the Bible with Ellen White’s writings
b. A total rejection without personal investigation of Ellen White’s writings
This Little Light of Mine
My Action Steps
2 Chronicles 20:20 Appeal to the Bruised who have been hurt by the misuse of Ellen White’s writing
I acknowledge that salvation is a grace gift from God, not because of my spiritual superiority.
Will I accept the call from God to turn from my selfishness, and accept the gift of new life from Christ?
Will I share this unique & vital message to God’s Remnant people to everyone I know?
Will I examine for myself what the Bible has to say about the spiritual gift of prophecy?
• Elder Jay Perry, Cornerstone Seventh-day Adventist Church, Wichita, Kansas “Not Left Out in the Dark” www.cornerstone-sda.org/sermons/Foundations2005/20050423.pdf. Used with permission.