Summary: How do we live out a triune vision for life?
A Theology for Body Life
Theme: God lives in community and created us to live in community.
Purpose: What do I want to happen in the hearer when I preach this sermon?
A. Increased knowledge. After I preach this sermon, the hearer should be able to see that the Trinity is more than a true doctrine about God?it is a characteristic of God which we must strive to duplicate.
B. Increased insight. After I preach this sermon, the hearer should be able to understand that fragmentation of the human personality causes a search for true community.
C. Changed attitude. After I preach this sermon, I want the hearer to determine to be a part of God?s community and to reach out to others with an attitude of openness and with an invitation to join God?s community.
Need to be
Surfaced: Every human being is longing for true community?a place of unconditional love, trust and acceptance.
be Offered: God?s nature and character is the source of this community. His church is the earthly medium through which this community is to be established and spread.
Introduction. (Get attention, surface need, make a contract to deliver a solution.)
A. Every human being needs community in order to survive.
B. Let?s restore the church of Christ!
1. It means so much more than merely restoring the external structures.
2. We must restore the heart, the soul, the spirit of the church of Christ.
3. We must restore true Christian community.
a. The power of our religion is not in how precisely we can extract the correct doctrine from the pages of the New Testament.
b. The power of our ministry is directly proportionate to the extent to which we can restore community in the lives of those around us.
C. The problem of fragmentation:
a. Instead of creating a community which honors diversity.
b. I?ll go somewhere where my personal preferences are honored.
2. The divided self - see separate overhead.
D. The search for true community:
1. Where the common good is supremely valued.
2. You are not disconnected and discarded merely because you do not:
a. Think like us.
b. Act like us.
c. Talk like us.
d. Believe like us.
3. Diversity is valued:
a. Jesus is the Divine Son of God.
b. Legalism cannot justify a human being.
E. The solution is offered by our triune God. I. What Is a Church Shaped by a Triune Vision?
A. A work in progress.
1. Initiated by God.
2. To be completed by God.
Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 2:12-13 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-- not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
B. A work rooted in and transformed by the example of Jesus.
Philippians 2:6-11 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross! 9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
C. A work sustained by the Holy Spirit.
1. Romans 8:14-16 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.
2. Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
3. Ephesians 4:3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
4. Galatians 5:22-26 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.