Judges 1 v.8 - 15 ACHSAH [ACK sah] —the only daughter of Caleb (1 Chr. 2:49; Achsa, KJV). Caleb promised Achsah in marriage to anyone who would capture the city of Debir (formerly known as Kirjath Sepher). When Othniel, Caleb’s nephew, took the town, Caleb gave his daughter a portion of the Negev (land in the South) as a dowry. Achsah also wanted springs to water her land and thus Caleb gave her “he upper springs and the lower springs”(Josh. 15:16–9; Judg. 1:12–5).
Achsah’s asking a pattern of prayer: —
I. HER CONSIDERATION v14 And it came to pass, when she came to him, that she moved him to ask of her father a field:
1. Her Assessment Before you pray, know what you are needing.
2. Her Assistance This woman, before she went to her father with her petition, asked her husband’s help. When she came to her husband “she moved him to ask of her father a field.”
Mt 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
3. Her Access “Come, Achsah, Caleb is your father. “Our Father,"
4. Her Attitude She went humbly, eagerly, yet very reverently. Thou art on earth, and God is in heaven; multiply not thy words as though thou wert talking to thine equal.
II. HER COURAGE. “Caleb said unto her, what wilt thou?”14 And it came to pass, when she came to him, that she moved him to ask of her father a field: and she lighted from off her ass; and Caleb said unto her, What wilt thou? 15 And she said unto him, Give me a blessing: for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water. And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the nether springs.
1. She Was Direct 14 And it came to pass, when she came to him,
2. She Was Definite 15 And she said unto him, Give me a blessing: for thou hast given me a south land; give me also springs of water.
Ask for it. God’s way of giving is through our asking. I suppose that He
does that in order that He may give twice over, for a prayer is itself a
blessing as well as the answer to prayer.
3. She Was Discerning for thou hast given me a south land; she recognised the difficulties
III. HER CONDUCT THE PRAYER ITSELF.15 Give me a blessing:
1. She Recognised : -
(a) The Source Of Blessing “Give me a blessing.”
(b) The Supply Of Blessing "for thou hast given me a south land.” It was in Caleb's Power to enrich Her
(c) The Sufficeny Of Blessing “Thou hast given me a south land; give me also,”
(d) The Simplicity Of Blessing Mt 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
IV. HER CONSOLATION. And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the nether springs.
1. Her Positive Response
2. Her Plentiful Reward Caleb gave her in large measure. The Lord “is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think.”
3. Her Personal Recognition He gave her this without a word of upbraiding.