Summary: People tend to associate commitment with emotions. If they feel the right way, then they can follow through on their commitments. But true commitment doesn’t work that way.
17, October 2004
Dakota Community Church
At the age of 67, Thomas Edison watched as fire destroyed much of his work and equipment. Is it time to retire? Is it time to hang up the lab coat? - No way.
"All our mistakes are burned up," the inventor said. "Now we can start anew."
There is a time to retire, but Edison knew his time hadn’t come. The fire that consumed his work didn’t destroy the fire that burned within him to continue his work. Edison’s commitment remained.
People tend to associate commitment with emotions. If they feel the right way, then they can follow through on their commitments. But true commitment doesn’t work that way. Commitment is not an emotion; it’s a character quality that enables us to reach our goals.
Emotions go up and down all the time, but commitment must remain rock solid. A solid team - whether it’s in business, sports, marriage or a volunteer organization - must have team players who are solidly committed to the team.
We live in a society that is commitment challenged to say the least. Dakota Community Church is no exception. What has been and remains the single biggest obstacle in the establishing of this Church?
- Committed Leadership
- Committed Membership
- God has sent the people to have this place well established.
- We get a steady flow of visitors who come as a result of liking the vision on the website.
- They arrive to see an empty house and struggling leadership.
I am not saying there is never a reason to leave a church. I am not going to get into guilt and manipulation to keep people when they want to leave. I am saying that you need to be committed while you are here and you need to be certain God, not difficult circumstance is the reason for the move.
Proverbs 30: 29-31
29There are three things which are stately in step, yes, four which are stately in their stride:
30The lion, which is mightiest among beasts and turns not back before any;
31The war horse [well-knit in the loins], the male goat also, and the king [when his army is with him and] against whom there is no uprising.
I am looking for a few good men and women!
What is your beef?
- No growth? Who is setting the amount of growing you do? How many of your friends and neighbors have you invited to dinner or to church or to meet Christ?
- No friends? Listen if you behave in an anti social manner you will not make friends. You can say that you don’t like baby or wedding showers and games but that is just an excuse. We have dessert nights, movie nights, mid week fellowships.
- No Ministry? We have a Youth ministry begging for help. My wife has been in the Sunday school for eight years and my kids have all graduated and are doing fine.
If you don’t have connections it’s because you don’t want connections. Real friends don’t agree with everything that comes out of your mouth.
I am calling for commitment tonight.
- Commitment to attend. (Not over other important things but when you are feeling lazy)
- Financial Commitment. (I am $3000 behind on pay)