Created To Become Like Christ
Contributed by Jamie Wright on Jul 22, 2006 (message contributor)
Summary: We are created in his image. We are called Christians- Christ like. How do we do that?
Pastor Jamie Wright * MFC * February 5, 2006
Definition of discipleship- becoming like Christ
I was created to become like Christ.
For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, -Romans 8:29a (NLT)
God doesn’t want me to become a god, he wants me to become godly.
Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; -Genesis 1:26a (NKJV)
It takes the work of the Holy Spirit to become godly; NO SHORTCUTS
As the Spirit of the Lord works within us, we become more and more like him and reflect His glory even more. -2 Corinthians 3:18b (NLT)
Becoming like Christ is not something we can do on our own. It is a life-long process in which God Himself is intimately involved.
WE GROW TO BE LIKE CHRIST AS WE ARE TRANSFORMED BY TRUTH…
Devices of discipleship- The training tools
1. We grow to be like Christ as we are tested by trouble/trials…
God uses life’s troubles--loneliness, rejection, illness, etc.--to test our faith.
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us – they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.
–Romans 5:3-4 (NLT)
God has a purpose behind every problem. He uses circumstances to develop character. Life is a series of problems and pain-
THE KEY IS RESPONDING WITH CHRIST-LIKE CHARACTER
– Refuse to give up during your trials.
– Refuse to let your troubles trouble you.
– We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them. –Romans 5:3-4 (NLT)
EVERYTHING GOD ALLOWS TO HAPPEN IN YOUR LIFE IS PERMITTED FOR THE PURPOSE OF “BECOMING LIKE CHRIST” (HIS SON)!
2. We grow to be like Christ through the temptations of Satan…
No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it. – 1 Corinthians 10:13(MSG)
• God uses the temptations of our enemy to train us in obedience.
• When tempted remember…
You won’t outgrow it but you can outrun it! There is always a way out!
• Don’t simply resist the temptation, resist the tempter.
• Don’t make excuses, admit your weakness.
• Don’t view temptation as a “Stumbling Block”, but as a “Stepping Stone.”
3. We grow to be like Christ through the trespasses of others…
God uses the trespasses of others--hurts, betrayals, insults--to teach us forgiveness.
For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. -Matthew 6:14-15(NKJV)
Every time you forgive others you…
Acknowledge God’s Grace
Trust in God’s Sovereignty
Express God’s Character
Duties of discipleship- The required tasks
1. Read God’s Word; the instruction manual
I must accept its authority
I must apply its principles
2. Prayer; communicate with Him
I must have a private place to pray
I must spend plenty of time in prayer
3. Tithing; share your resources
I must not allow my possessions to posses me
I can’t afford not to tithe
4. Fellowship; get around others who also are becoming like Him