Summary: By fasting and praying for revival and evangelism, God will pour Himself on His people.
1. First mention. The Day of Atonement, i.e., Yom Kippur Fast. "On the tenth day of the seventh month of each year, you must go without eating to show sorrow for your sins" (Lev. 16:29 CEV).
2. Full mention. "Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? When thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward" (Isa. 58:6-8 KJV).
3. Nine fasts, i.e., nine different ways to fast for nine different purposes.
The Apostles Fast to break addiction.
The Ezra Fast to solve problems.
The Samuel Fast for evangelism & revival.
The Elijah Fast to break despondency.
The Widow’s Fast for humanitarian needs.
The St. Paul’s Fast to make decisions.
The Daniel Fast for health & healing.
The John the Baptist Fast for reputation & influence.
The Esther Fast for spiritual warfare.
4. Types of Fasts.
Normal Fast, drink liquids but no solid food.
Absolute Fast, no food or drink.
5. The Law of Silence. When God hasn’t spoken, do not make rules.
B. FASTING FOR REVIVAL AND EVANGELISM
2. CONDITIONS OF REVIVAL: 2 x 7 = 14
"If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land" (II Chron. 7:14).
3. FOUR CONDITIONS: What we must do.
a. Humble: Confess
b. Pray: Intercession
c. Seek my face: Commitment
d. Turn from wicked ways: Repent
4. THREE RESULTS. What God will do.
a. I will hear: Not reject our prayer.
b. I will forgive: Cleanse.
c. I will heal their land: Transform culture.
5. WHAT DOES IT MEAN "HEAL OUR LAND"?
a. Deal with sin.
b. Protect from ungodly influence.
c. Bless godly endeavors.
d. Use the testimony of believers.
e. Guide the establishment of biblical principles.
f. Focus national attention on glorifying God.
6. WHAT CAN I DO TO BRING REVIVAL?
a. Fast and pray for revival.
b. Make a vow to be involved in revival activities.
c. Pray for national leaders. "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority; that
we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" (I Tim. 2:1-4).
d. Group fasting and prayer.
e. Become involved in what you believe in.