Summary: Funeral service for My Grandmother
FUNERAL SERVICE: ELDERLY CHRISTIAN WOMAN by George Crumbly
Service for Emma Faye McGill (My Grandmother)
December 22, 1995 2:00pm
Lake Wales Church of the Nazarene
Lake Wales Florida
"A Time Of Parting"
We come today to pay our final tribute of respect to Mrs. Emma Faye McGill. Some of you knew her as Granny, Emma, Mrs McGill, Emma Faye, Mama, Mother.
For the past 39 years I knew her as "Granny Gill"
(Acts 20 (quickview) : 36-38) "And when he had thus spoken, he kneeled down, and prayed with them all. And they all wept sore, and fell on Pauls neck, and kissed him, sorrowing most of all for the words which he spake, that they should see his face no more. And they accompanied him unto the ship."
1. Paul had just completed his 2nd missionary tour. He called for the elders of Ephesus to come together in order to encourage them. (I remember Granny Gill being an encourager) This world needs a lot more encouragers today. Paul was preparing to leave, he was saying his goodbyes.
2. Goodbyes are always moving experiences. IT WAS:
I. A TIME OF SORROW:
A. Because they would "see his face no more."
1. Death is a similar experience. This is one reason folks have such a hard time dealing with
death. It is hard when you know you will not see a loved one again.
2. Granny Gill was a very important part of this familys life and it will be difficult because we
will not see her again in this life.
B. Because of the effect Paul had on their lives.
1. Paul had introduced them to Jesus Christ. He had led them to the Lord.
2. Paul then nurtured their faith. He was there as they grew in grace, as they too became
disciples he was there for them.
3. Paul watched over them and instructed them in the faith.
** It’s difficult today for this family because of the effect Granny Gill had on our lives.
* She had an effect on me growing up. She made a positive impact on my life.
* I remember each Thanksgiving coming to her house and eating dinner. I remember going
the back room and watching Championship Wrestling from Florida with Gordon Solie, Dusty
Rhodes, Dick murdock, the Great Malinko and all of the other.
* We always watched football, when the Redskins were on TV she would step into the back
room although she was busy she would check on and see how the Washington Redskins
were doing because they were her favorite team.
* I won’t ever forget all of the fried chicken she cooked. You know they say that fried chicken
is the "gospel bird" so she might have been instrumental in preparing me for God’s calling on
my life to become a preacher. (By feeding me all that chicken)
* I remember many, many good times at Granny Gills house. I thank god today for these
C. Their sorrow was openly expressed.
verse 37: "and they all wept sore, and fell on Pauls neck, and kissed him."
1. Weeping is a language that is understood by all.
2. Even Jesus wept. (A good preacher friend of mine used to say he didn’t trust a man that
II. A TIME OF SEPARATION:
A. Paul was leaving them for the last time.
1. I felt the Friday after Thanksgiving when we went to see Granny Gill in the hospital that it