Summary: There were certain people in the Corinth church who taught there was no resurrection from the dead! Paul confronts them with hard evidence...
INTRODUCTION: Corinth was the center of the Epicurean philosophy, which said that, because there is no eternity, man should eat, drink, and be merry on earth.
Part of this Epicurean mentality had filtered into the church. Specifically, there were those in the church who taught there was no resurrection from the dead."Be a Christian," they said. "Believe in Jesus Christ. Believe that on the Cross But don’t believe He really rose again." Paul confronts them with hard evidence...
In 1 Cor. 15:1-11 - I want to use Paul’s text to answer the question...
WHAT IS THE RESURRECTION?
1. THE RESURRECTION IS GOOD NEWS! (GOSPEL)
1. Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2. By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
Who likes to hear good news?
• The word "Gospel" means good news
What should we do with this good news?
• PREACH IT v.1 (Not just pastors, but every believer needs to tell the story)
• RECEIVE IT v.1 (Without skepticism)
• STAND IN IT v.1 (Firm foundation / build your life on it)
• KEEP IT IN MEMORY v.2 (What occupies your mind?)
TRUTH - God LOVES it when we believe the Bible
2. THE RESURRECTION IS REAL!
5. And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6. After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
The resurrection is real because there were witnesses!
• Any lawyer today would love to have as many witnesses!
Witness #1 - Cephas "rock" (Simon Peter) . Peter had denied Him. Peter had to get things straightened out with the Lord. Jesus meets with Peter personally. FIRST!
• TRUTH - Jesus goes after for BROKEN PEOPLE.
• TRUTH - Right after your biggest mess ups
• TRUTH - In those lowly moments when you wonder if God will ever take you back…
Witness #3 - 500 people at one time!
Witness #4 - The resurrection is real because James (Jesus’ half brother) first did not believe now believed
TRUTH - There will always be people who say that Jesus didn’t rise from the dead.
TRUTH - Believing in the resurrection is a choice in believing the Bible over worlds opinion
3. THE RESURRECTION IS LIFE CHANGING!
8. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
9. For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
10. But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.