Summary: Lessons From A Faith That Wouldn’t Quit!
· Persistent is defined as ‘refusing to give up’, ‘never ceasing’, or ‘continuing to exist despite interference or treatment’
· Ill.: There’s a supposedly true story of a Welsh woman who lived in a remote valley in Wales. She went to a great deal of trouble and expense to have electrical power installed in her home. However, after a couple of months, the electric company noticed she didn’t seem to use very much electricity at all.
Thinking there might be a problem with the hookup, they sent a meter reader out to check on the matter. The man came to the door and said, "We’ve just checked your meter and it doesn’t seem that you’re using much electricity. Is there a problem?"
"Oh no" she said. "We’re quite satisfied. We turn on the electric lights every night to see how to light our lamps and then we switch them off again."
- Now, why didn’t this woman make more use of her electricity?
She believed in electricity.
She believed the promises of the electric company when they told her about it.
She went to a great deal of trouble and expense to have her house wired for it.
BUT - she didn’t understand the potential of electricity in her home.
AND SO, she used it’s power sparingly
· Many Christians are like this woman,
o We believe in prayer.
o We believe in the promises that the Bible tells us about prayer
o We have the power of God available to us, 24/7.
§ But we only use it sparingly. Just until we can get things back to a point that we can handle life, without God… without prayer
· Mt. 7:7-11 “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”
· I John 5:14-15 (quickview)  “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”
· Ps. 118:25 “Save now, I beseech thee, O LORD: O LORD, I beseech thee, send now prosperity.”
o She wants to teach us something today, regarding how we, too, can have a persistent faith.
I. Persistent Faith Is FOCUSED, 3
A. Focused On The Person With The Power ‘judge’
i. We need to focus on WHO God is!
ii. We need to focus on WHAT God has done!
iii. We need to focus on WHEN God has lasted failed!
iv. We need to focus on WHERE God is now seated
v. We need to focus on WHY God does what He does! (His good pleasure)
vi. We need to focus on HOW God moves!