Joshua 6 v 1- 21
1. The Challenge 1 Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in. Intro:
Jericho was surrounded by 2 massive stone walls. The outer wall was 6 feet thick and 20 feet high. The inner wall was 12 feet thick and 30 feet high. There was a 15 foot guarded walkway between these two walls. From a military standpoint, it was practically impenetrable.
(b) Their Defiance Jericho was straitly shut up
(c) Their Determination none went out, and none came in
2. The Charter 2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.
(a) The Source Of Victory See, I have given into thine hand Jericho
(b) The Scope Of Victory Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.
(c) The Subject Of Victory See, I have given into thine hand
(d) The Surety Of Victory And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given (Past Tense)
3. The Choice 3 And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.
They Could Either :-
(a) Obey Or Disobey
(b) Trust Or Transgress
(c) Fight Or Flee
(d) Stand Or Stagnate
4. The Characterization 4 And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams’ horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.
They Enjoyed :-
(a) The Presence Of God And seven priests shall bear before the ark
(b) The Power Of God seven trumpets of rams’ horns (sounded in battle)
1. AT MOUNT SINAI. Ex:19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled 2. ON THE ALMIGHTY'S SABBATHS Lev:23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation 3. AT THE DESTRUCTION OF JERICHO 4. VICTORY IN WARFARE (Gideon) Judges:7:20 And the three companies blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers, and held the lamps in their left hands, and the trumpets in their right hands to blow withal: and they cried, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon. 5. THE RETURN OF THE ARK 2Sam:6:15: So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet 6. THE ANOINTING OF KING SOLOMON. 1 Kgs:1:34: And let Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anoint him there king over Israel: and blow ye with the trumpet, and say, God save king Solomon 7. THE DEDICATION OF THE TEMPLE. 2Chron:5:13: It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD.