Joshua 6 v 1- 21
1. The Challenge 1 Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in. Intro:
Jericho was surrounded by 2 massive stone walls. The outer wall was 6 feet thick and 20 feet high. The inner wall was 12 feet thick and 30 feet high. There was a 15 foot guarded walkway between these two walls. From a military standpoint, it was practically impenetrable.
(b) Their Defiance Jericho was straitly shut up
(c) Their Determination none went out, and none came in
2. The Charter 2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.
(a) The Source Of Victory See, I have given into thine hand Jericho
(b) The Scope Of Victory Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.
(c) The Subject Of Victory See, I have given into thine hand
(d) The Surety Of Victory And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given (Past Tense)
3. The Choice 3 And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.
They Could Either :-
(a) Obey Or Disobey
(b) Trust Or Transgress
(c) Fight Or Flee
(d) Stand Or Stagnate
4. The Characterization 4 And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams’ horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.
They Enjoyed :-
(a) The Presence Of God And seven priests shall bear before the ark
(b) The Power Of God seven trumpets of rams’ horns (sounded in battle)
1. AT MOUNT SINAI. Ex:19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled 2. ON THE ALMIGHTY'S SABBATHS Lev:23:24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation 3. AT THE DESTRUCTION OF JERICHO 4. VICTORY IN WARFARE (Gideon) Judges:7:20 And the three companies blew the trumpets, and brake the pitchers, and held the lamps in their left hands, and the trumpets in their right hands to blow withal: and they cried, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon. 5. THE RETURN OF THE ARK 2Sam:6:15: So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet 6. THE ANOINTING OF KING SOLOMON. 1 Kgs:1:34: And let Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anoint him there king over Israel: and blow ye with the trumpet, and say, God save king Solomon 7. THE DEDICATION OF THE TEMPLE. 2Chron:5:13: It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD.
8. REBUILDING OF JERUSALEM Neh: 4:18: For the builders, every one had his sword girded by his side, and so builded. And he that sounded the trumpet was by me Neh: 4:20: In what place therefore ye hear the sound of the trumpet, resort ye thither unto us: our God shall fight for us.
(c) The Promise Of God v.2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho
(d) The Purpose Of God
5. The Charge 5 And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram’s horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him.
(a) A Universal Shout all the people
(b) A Unilateral Shout shall shout
(c) An Unequivicol Shout with a great shout 10 And Joshua had commanded the people, saying, Ye shall not shout, nor make any noise with your voice, neither shall any word proceed out of your mouth, until the day I bid you shout; then shall ye shout.
The Timing Of It until the day I bid you shout