Summary: How The Influence of The Holy Spirit Changes A Christian
· Recently, a well-known Oklahoman was charged with DUI: Driving Under the Influence.
· According to law, this means that an officer determined that this person was not in control of their faculties, due to the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
o In Oklahoma, if you have a Blood Alcohol Content of .08 or above
o Punishment includes up to a $1,200 fine and/or up to 6 months in jail PLUS the forfeiture of your drivers license.
· Did you know…
o 36% of all traffic fatalities are alcohol related?
o 95% of the people classified as having past year alcohol dependence or abusestarted using alcohol before age 21
o In a single year, alcohol related crashes cost Oklahomans in excess of $1.9 Billion, including medical expense, rehabilitation, auto repairs, increased auto insurance, lawyer and court cost, lost time at work, and…funeral expenses.
· Knowing this, why do people continue to drive under the influence of alcohol?
· This morning, I want to challenge you to start living under the influence. But not of alcohol, but living under the influence of the Spirit!
· By influence, I mean ‘a power that affects you, those around you and the places that you go. A power to live without any direct or apparent effort on your part. A power to sway or affect other people, based solely upon the Holy Spirit working through you. A power to bring about change in your life, and the lives of those your come in contact with’
· Does anyone hear want that kind of power? If so, write down these three simple, Biblical steps to “Living Under The Influence”
I. Don’t Substitute The Spirit, 18
A. But, walk the walk, 15
i. Circumspectly – ‘exactly’, ‘diligently’
ii. Move from point A to point B, like someone …
1. Who is under control of their faculties
2. Whose going where they want to go
3. Who is knowledgeable of their surroundings
4. Who has no reason to fear authority
a. Prov. 28:1 “The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.”
b. Sin will make you live in what’s called “Guilty Fear”
c. 2004 President election: some people said they didn’t vote because police cars were parked near the polling places.
B. But, redeem the time, 16
i. ‘to buy up’, as in a ransom; ‘to rescue from loss’, to improve opportunity’
ii. Christians are called to rescue the time that we have here on earth. How can we do this?
1. By turning off March Madness and encouraging a friend
2. By opening our clique to a new person
3. By folding up the newspaper and opening the Bible
4. By visiting the sick, the shut-in, the lonely and the fatherless
5. By using initiative, and starting and sustaining a new ministry
C. But, know God’s will, 17
· Mt. 7:21 “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.”
i. Salvation is always in the will of God
ii. Sanctification (holiness) is always in the will of God
iii. Service is always in the will of God
iv. Surrender is always in the will of God
v. Supplication (prayer) is always in the will of God
vi. Satisfaction (being content) is always in the will of God
vii. Submission is always in the will of God
viii. Spiritual Suffering is always in the will of God (those that live godly…)
D. But, don’t get drunk, 18
i. Because a drunk is under the influence of another ‘spirit’
ii. Because a drunk can’t not be trusted
iii. Because a drunk is a bad spokesperson
iv. Because a drunk is a danger to others
v. Because a drunk is a poor leader
II. Don’t Hold Back The Praise, 19
> Ill. Lk. 19:37-40 (Rocks Cry Out)
A. This kind of praise is for yourself, ‘speaking to yourselves’
i. Real praise doesn’t need an audience
ii. Real praise doesn’t need a leader
iii. Real praise doesn’t need music
B. This kind of praise is multi-faceted, ‘psalms, hymns, spiritual songs’
i. Psalms: Sacred and Worshipful
ii. Hymns: A Celebration or Praise
iii. Spiritual Songs: non-Carnal musical expressions
C. This kind of praise comes only from the heart
i. If it gets to the foot before it reaches the heart, it’s the wrong kind of praise.
ii. If it gets to the head before it reaches the heart, it’s the wrong kind of praise.
iii. If it gets to the hips before it reaches the heart, it’s the wrong kind of praise!
III. Don’t Be Like The World, 20
A. They’re slow to give thanks to anyone but themselves, ‘giving thanks’
i. Rom. 1:18.-21 “18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.