Summary: The unbelievers are looking up to us for we have something to give. Every one of us has been imbued withy a special gifting that exactly fits the needs of the world. It may not be silver or gold, but it is more valuable. New members, fulfill your role.
NEW MEMBERS MOTIVATION SERIES: “LOOK ON US!”
ACTS 3: 1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. 2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; 3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms. 4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look On Us. 5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them. 6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. 7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. 8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God: 10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him. 11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering. 12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk? 13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
INTRO: 3 Weeks Ago: Encouragement To Church Members - “LOOK ON US”
1. Begging On The Streets Is An Art Most Of Us Are Not Comfortable To See.
As Seen In Passage, Begging Has Been Around For A Long Time. Jesus: Lazarus, Blind Bartimaeus. Many on the streets of Lowell recently. Some claim that given all the government and non-government assistance that is available to help the poor, we should not be seeing beggars on our streets. These are signs that government has failed. One article said we should not give to beggars because they are either con artists, mentally disabled, or on drugs or alcohol. Not true.
2. Poverty Fact Sheet
a. Nearly 1/2 Of The World’s Population - above 3 billion - live on less than $2.50 a day.
b. More Than 1.3 Billion Live In Extreme Poverty - less than $1.25 a day.
c. 1 Billion Children Worldwide Live In Poverty.
d. About 750 Million Lack Clean Drinking Water. Diarrhea kills 842,000 yearly, 2,300 a day.
e. In 2011, 165 Million children under the age 5 were stunted due to chronic malnutrition.
ACUTE CAUSES OF POVERTY
1. Warfare: War leads to breakdown of the social structure that provides for people.
2. Centralization Of Power: One major party responsible for decision-making over the country.
3. Corruption: When leaders are not accountable to those they serve & steal money.
4. Droughts & Flooding: Environmental forces often cause crisis destroying crops & animals.
5. Natural Disasters: Natural disasters as hurricanes & earthquakes devastate communities.
6. Plagues Or Affliction: Widespread illnesses cause panic and flight of economic contributors.
7. Colonial Histories: Stealing of country’s resources by colonial masters – resources shipped.
8. Social Inequality: Cultural ideas about the worth of different genders, races, ethnic groups, etc.
9. Structural Adjustment Programs (SAP): Cutbacks to meet IMF & World Bank conditions.
THE EFFECTS OF POVERTY IN THE COMMUNITY
1. Malnutrition: Poor families live in poverty and rarely have access to nutritious foods.
2. Health: Diseases are common because they lack means to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
3. Education: Many people in poverty unable to attend school early or have standard education.
4. Economy: Without an education, people are unlikely to find a paying job.
5. Homelessness: Many people living in poverty are homeless, which puts them on the streets.
6. Crime: Poverty often leads to high crime.