Without the Struggle, There Are No Wings
A family brought in two cocoons that were about to hatch. They watched as the first one began to open and the butterfly inside squeezed very slowly and painfully through a tiny hole that it chewed in one end of the cocoon. After lying exhausted for about ten minutes following its agonizing emergence, the butterfly finally flew out the open window on its beautiful new wings.
The family decided to help the second butterfly so that it would not have to go through such an excruciating ordeal. So, as it began to emerge, they carefully sliced open the cocoon with a razor blade, doing the equivalent of a Caesarean section. The second butterfly never did sprout wings, and in about ten minutes, instead of flying away, it quietly died.
The family asked a biologist friend to explain what had happened. The scientist said that the difficult struggle to emerge from the small hole actually pushes liquids from deep inside the butterfly's body cavity into tiny capillaries in the wings where they hardened to complete the healthy and beautiful adult butterfly. The lesson? WITHOUT THE STRUGGLE, THERE ARE NO WINGS.
God’s word causes us to struggle but it also gives us wings to soar it inspires us, it drives us, it purges us, it changes us, and it causes us to achieve beyond our wildest dreams.
1. We begin with Jesus addressing his disciples: in the region of Caesarea Philippi Pagan area
• "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" Some say, John the Baptist a holy man willing to die for his faith.
• Some Say Elijah The greatest of all the OT prophets. Elijah
• Some say, Jeremiah A holy prophet who was expected to return to earth just before Messiah came. He was supposed to bring with him the Tabernacle, the Ark of the Covenant and the Altar of Incense which he had hidden in Mount Nebo
• Some say, One of the Prophets A man of God sent with a message for their time,
2. Let’s Notice some things about Peter note he is like us He struggles
• Luke claims Peter struggled with his own sinfulness he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" –Luke 5:8
• Matthew Claims Peter struggled with stumbling 23Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." Matthew 16:23
• John claimed Peter struggled with a fuel for violence 10Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (His name was Malchus.)
• Peter struggled with making poor decisions, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." 34Jesus answered, "I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me."
3. Peter Struggled but because of struggle he eventually gets it right and begins a flight
• Jesus says, "But who do you say that I am?" (v. 15). Simon Peter answers, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God" (v. 16). Peter is now soaring. Peter is on a Spiritual High
• Peter has taken a flight few have taken He Claims Jesus is “the bread of life. “the light of the world.” the door. “the good shepherd. “the Son of God” the resurrection and the life.”the way, the truth and the life…”the true vine.” Peter in scripture is the first to recognize Jesus as God.
• Jesus says,” flesh and blood have not revealed this to you but My Father in Heaven” you have encountered a revelation (Unveiling ) glory .
4. Peter has struggled but because of Struggle he is encountering a Faith Flight
• Peters Faith Flight begins when Jesus calls Peter Petro Rock) C and on this rock I will build my church,
• The church will be so strong that death itself will not be able to overcome it
• Jesus tells Peter “19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven;." "keys of the kingdom of heaven," with authority to bind and to loose, which means that Peter now has authority to be the chief teacher in the church (v. 19).
5. In conclusion, we all Struggle with devotedness, Devoutness, and Dutifulness.
• Remember without struggle there are no wings John struggled with identity of Jesus , he said is he the one or should we look for another. Jesus said “Born of women none greater than John” John received his wings the day his head was placed on a platter
• Elijah struggled with fear and self-pity but he to receives a glorious flight in a chariot of fire
• Jeremiah struggled with sorrow he was known as the weeping prophet but he to received his wings and maybe now known as the shouting Prophet
• Yes we may struggle but we to one day will receive our wings if we do like the great apostle
11But let us flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life.