“COMMUNION” Matthew 26:26-29
1. Consider different Names for Communion “Love Feast”
• Communion Refers to fellowship, sharing, relational 26While they were eating,
• Luke 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer
• Communion is also known as Eucharist “Great Thanksgiving” 27Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them
• Communion is Lords Supper: Jesus is the Host and we participate at Christ’s invitation
• The Holy Mystery “We don’t know what happens salvation, healing,
2. Who should take Communion?
• Some believe it’s only for the baptized
• Its only for the converted the unconverted should never take
• What does Jesus say, “"Take and eat; this is my body." saying, "Drink from it, all of you.
3. What is communion?
• It’s an Act of Remembrance Paul writes in 1 Corinthians He broke it and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' in remembrance of these your mighty acts in Jesus Christ, we offer ourselves in praise and thanksgiving as a holy and living sacrifice
• Its an Act of Presence Jesus Do you believe he is with us when we gather?
• It’s an act of Confession. Hymnal Page 12 “WE confess we have not loved you with our whole heart, we are not an obedient church, we have not done your will, we have broken, we have not loved as we should, we have not heard the cry of the needy Forgive us we pray. “In Corinthians it tells us 28 dLet a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.
• Its an Act of Forgiveness Hymnal page 12 Hear the Good News Christ died for us while we were yet sinners that proves Gods love towards us, In the name of Jesus Christ you are forgiven. 28This is my blood of theB covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.
• Its an Act Of Giving Jesus Gave himself up for Us.
Luke 2214 When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. 15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.
• Its an Act of Joy which results in singing 29I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." 30When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts” (Psalm 105:2).
“Speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:19).
4. Finally What is Communion?
• It’s the Mighty Acts Of Jesus that we Remember,
• It’s the mighty Acts of His Presence,
• His Mighty Acts leads us to Confess,
• It is the Mighty Acts of Jesus that Pardons an old sinner like me,
• It’s the Mighty Acts of Christ Giving Himself for us,
• and And it His Mighty Acts that help us to lift our voices in song.