“Fear, But Continue to Live life” John 20:19-31
1. After the death of Jesus, the disciples are hiding behind locked doors in fear of the Jewish leaders.
• There was fear they had no idea what to do, what they should do, a question lingering in their minds, should we go out in public.
• What should we believe? They have just heard from Mary Magdalene that morning that she had “seen the Lord,” but is that fact news or fake news
• We have to let God Arise over this fear Our Father David said, Psalm 3:6I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. 7Arise, O LORD
2. Disciples may have not only feared the Jewish Leaders but now the Appearance of Jesus creates a new Fear. It’s the fear of Jesus, what he might think, will he forgive us, He sends us like he was?
• But then, suddenly, Jesus appeared among them with the greeting, “Peace be with you” (v. 19). This is a traditional Christian greeting. Meaning hello or by
• What is the gift of peace is it forgiveness? is that the words they hear. They were worried about a lot of stuff maybe one of them could have been forgiveness
• When Jesus says peace be unto you is He saying, “I am the Resurrection but I am also Hope In these troublesome days”
• “Peace Be with you”, is Jesus saying I am with you even in tribulation-al moments and I am sending you, you now have mission as I had mission in verse 2 Jesus said in the same way the Father sent me so I send you “
3. They have Fear but He breaths on them an ability to live Life
• In verse 22 it tells us “he breathed on them and they received the Holy Spirit and you will be endowed with the Power of the Word that convinces, convicts, and converts people. The Word they will proclaim has power to . 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."
• He Breathed on them power and confidence they had never experienced before We can get through these moments, these times, these fears, these unprecedented times.
• He breathed on them an overwhelming joy !" 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Fear is certainly there but we must live Life to
4. Fear is a present reality we certainly have, but Living Life is a present reality
• We often call Thomas a “doubter,” but the truth is that we all need a Thomas in our community, someone who is willing to push back on what, at times, seems to be craziness.
• It’s crazy to open up if and when we do the reality of Fear is present but so is the reality of life we have to have life
• We must have fear (Caution, restraint, restrictions) but we must also have life (Freedom, Liberty, independence). They could have continued to stay where they were but they didn’t. Despite the Jewish leaders they had to go on they treaded a fine line
5. Thomas perhaps didn’t doubt so much as perhaps, He desired Fact News
• 25So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"
• He wanted the facts "Unless I see nail marks, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
• Jesus gives him Fact News "Peace be with you!" 27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
• Fear is here it’s a present reality but the command Jesus gives those disciples 31This is written that you mayA believe that Jesus is the Christ, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
6. WE have many fears but we must continue to live life in the midst of our fears
• For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Choose to live in faith and not fear
• God told Joshua Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Don’t live in fear live in life of his presence
• Let’s be like the writer of Hebrews “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
• Do we love Jesus listen? There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.
• The Deuteron-mist Feels the Lord goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
• Fear is present but so is life “God told Israel I set before you Life and death blessings or curses choose life