Summary: This message is intended to help us get a grip on our materialistic tendencies and live for the glory of God.
SUBDUING THE MATERIALIST MONSTER INSIDE US
A. Oh how we love things!
1. The newest and brightest – I can’t wait!
a. The I-phone I got to have it.
b. The new I-pad coming out, it is a must.
c. Nintendo 3DS, Oh ya!
2. Not a techee, maybe it is name brand clothes
a. I won’t wear anything but American Eagle
b. If it is not Banana Republic forget it
c. Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein is necessary
3. Maybe it is just a want for something new
a. A new car, a new boat, new rifle
b. New dress by Prada, new hand bag by Gucci, new shoes by Gina or all three that match.
c. A new better paying job so you can get all that we just mentioned and more!
4. And if this were not bad enough, we want these things because they make us feel good about ourselves and we see that others think well of us because we have them.
5 This is materialism!
B. And though we live in a materialistic world that tells us if we have more we will be happier
1. Materialism is not new – Paul had to write to Timothy about it.
2. He spoke to Timothy about those who were wanting to be leaders in the church saying of some that they were, …men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. 1 Tim. 6:5
- Now I could mention a few in our day that have made the ministry all about how much money they can get and they use every trick in the book to get it but I will not because I want us to focus on ourselves this morning.
3. You see the truth is that many who claim the name of Christ, maybe even ourselves, are just as materialistic as those of the world.
4. This being the case how do we go about Subduing The Materialist Monster Inside Us?
5. Well, we can glean at least thee pieces of useful information out of our text:
a. Have The Right Attitude
b. Know the Underlying Agitation
c. Heed The Given Admonition
6. May God grant us an open mind to His word and a willing spirit to follow Him in truth.
As we think about Subduing The Materialist Monster Inside Us we must first
I. HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE, 1 Tim. 6:6-8 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. In order for us to have the right attitude, God must speak to our hearts and He does so in three quick statements:
A. Lets first note a connection - But godliness with contentment is great gain. (v. 6)
1. Now I do not believe you can have godliness without contentment, but Paul was speaking to Timothy about a form of godliness – they were using their “religion” as a cover for gain.
- Paul continues this line of reasoning in 2 Tim. 3:5 speaking of those who have a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:
2. So what is the correlation of these two?
a. Godliness – a trust in the one and only God with a life that reveals that trust
b. Contentment – a satisfaction that comes with the knowledge that God has given us all that we have which allows us to concentrate on Him and His kingdom