Summary: Messages that try to understand the Holy Spirit by the Symbols that is used.
Note: Idea and notes inspired by Wayne Dority's messages on the Holy Spirit.
Title: Symbols of the Holy Spirit: The Oil
Theme: To show the Holy Spirit in relation to the oil.
2 Corinthians 1:21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God,
Purpose of the Oil
We learn that throughout the Bible the oil was used 1) to anoint those who are working for the Lord. This included the priests, the prophets, and the kings. Any person that was next to the temple and working for the Lord.
1. To light the lamps of the temple. There was perpetual light in the temple of God, reminded us of His presence that dwells in us as a temple.
2. To bring ointment for healing. James 5:14Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
3. To add flavoring to food,
Mat 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. (14) "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. (15) "Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. (16) "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
5. To anoint the priests, kings and prophets with
Psa 133:1-2 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity! 2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Running down on the beard, The beard of Aaron, Running down on the edge of his garments.
This is the area I would like to focus on this morning. This Holy Spirit anointing.
Anointing – smear, rub, consecrate
Old Testament they smeared on, New Testament they rubbed in.
Process (Preparation) for the Oil
Exodus 30 gives very specific instructions on what and how to anoint
Moreover the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: "Also take for yourself quality spices; five hundred shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much sweet-smelling cinnamon (two hundred and fifty shekels), two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet-smelling cane, "five hundred shekels of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil. "And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil. "With it you shall anoint the tabernacle of meeting and the ark of the Testimony; "the table and all its utensils, the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense; "the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the laver and its base. "You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them must be holy. "And you shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister to Me as priests. "And you shall speak to the children of Israel, saying: 'This shall be a holy anointing oil to Me throughout your generations. 'It shall not be poured on man's flesh; nor shall you make any other like it, according to its composition. It is holy, and it shall be holy to you.
How does the process of Oil Work
It is grown then prepared for harvest.
First the olive is picked
Second the olive is cleaned
Third the olive is put into a press
Fourth the large wheel rolls across it to get the olive oil out
Fifth the pure olive oil is separated from the rest.
The Alabaster Box
Breaking of the alabaster box
Filling the room with aroma
The anointing of Jesus
Luk 7:38-50 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. (39) Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner."
(44) Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. (45) "You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. (46) "You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. (47) "Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." (48) Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." (49) And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" (50) Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."