Summary: God is a perfect God and He is perfect in His ways and in what He does, and consequently requires perfection from us because we were created in His image.
THE GOD OF PERFECTION
STUDY TEXT: 2Sam. 22:31-33
As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.
32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?
33 God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
- God is a perfect God in all his ways and no imperfection can be seen with God. Whatever he does or says is perfect. His ways are perfect; His words are perfect and have capacity to make us perfect.
- Because we are created in the image of God the ultimate desire of God for us it to be perfect in all our own ways too. Matthew 5:48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Therefore any kind of imperfection in man is an act of disobedience to the word of God which has to be corrected. And any one that will get to heaven at the end of the earthy journey must strive towards perfection according to the will of God.
- God gave us his words for our perfection and his spirit to guide us into all truth in order to be perfect. 2 Timothy 3:16-17: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- As we read the word of God, listen to it being preached to us at all times, or as we preach it to others, we must never lose touch of the primary purpose of it which is perfection.
- Although we are not yet perfect, but we should strife daily, depending on the grace of God towards perfection. Philippians 3:12-15: Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you
- We shall look into this study under two major headings:
1. The dimensions of perfection as regards to God.
2. The direction of perfection as regards to men.
1. THE DIMENSIONS OF PERFECTION AS REGARDS TO GOD.
1. God is perfect in his works. Genesis 1:31
And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
- Everything God does is perfect, and they are for the purpose of his own glory.
2. God is perfect in his words. Psalms 19:7-8
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
- The word of God is faultless, and has capacity to produce the will of God in man. The word is God and as perfect as God himself. John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
- The word is personified in his son Jesus.
3. God is perfect in his power. Luke 1:37
For with God nothing shall be impossible.
- God is perfect is his power and that is why there is no impossibility with him. If God has not done something, it is either He will not do it or He has a time in mind to do it and can never be because He can not do it.
-Consider the experience at the red sea, the people thought that all hope was lost, but God proved that He can do all things.
4. God is perfect in his glory. Isaiah 6:1-7
In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.