Summary: A great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will build a great church
Sermon for 8/25/2002
The Great Commission
Gandhi- If it wasn’t for the Christians...
A. Sermon on the Great Commandment. A great commitment to the Great Commandment and to the Great Commission will grow a great church.
B. Now Great Commission, tied in with the Great Commandment. Why do we love? What is the purpose behind our love? From Great Commandment. Is that it?
C. Many great organizations in our community.
1. American Red Cross- humanitarian organization, helping millions of people each year prevent, prepare for, and cope with emergencies.
2. Surry Volunteer Center- Fostering an Ethic of Service in North Carolina Citizens of All Ages."
4. Altrusa- The mission of Altrusa International is to promote community service by an international network of executives and professionals in diversified career classifications.
5. Elk’s Lodge- The Elks National Foundation’s mission is “helping Elks build stronger communities.”
6. Jaycees- The Mount Airy Jaycees were established in 1954 and for the 46 years of our existence, we have been devoted to individual development and community service.
7. The Multiple Sclerosis Society- Dedicated to ending the devastating effects of Multiple Sclerosis
8. Surry Arts Council- The purpose of the Surry Arts Council is to provide opportunities for all the people of our community to experience high-quality performances and instruction in the performing and visual arts - while ensuring its continuity through financially responsible leadership.
12. Girls Scouts- It is the world’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls- all girls- where, in an accepting and nurturing environment, girls build character and skills for success in the real world.
13. Boy Scouts- The purpose of the Boy Scouts of America, incorporated on February 8, 1910, and chartered by Congress in 1916, is to provide an educational program for boys and young adults to build character, to train in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to develop personal fitness.
3. Relay for Life- American Cancer Society- The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives and diminishing suffering from cancer through research, education, advocacy, and service.
14. Clubs and Organizations affiliated with local schools, many others, etc.
D. These organizations are great but many times do not get to the heart of the problems.
E. Must change a person from the inside out, do good things to get their attention, not change them from the outside in. To do good things is not the end for the church, a higher purpose, a higher calling.
F. We do good works because we love God and love our fellow man. The end result- Matthew 5:16- In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
G. So that others can praise God, so that others can be Christians, so that others can know the love and peace and joy that we know through Jesus Christ. Not just to be humanitarians.
H. Ted Turner gave 1 billion dollars to the UN for children. Did he do it so that these children will become Christians? No.
I. The Great Commission and the Great Commandment have to work together.
1. One problem is that we do good works but are never bold enough to tell others about the gospel. WE have a voice but never use it.
2. Other problem is that we do not do good works; we are selfish and unchristian in our lives. WE might tell others about Jesus but we have no voice in their ears because we ruin our witness with our actions. Hypocrites.
Thesis: We should be committed to the Great Commission. All of us should be doing this. What is the Great Commission and how does this apply to my life? Matthew 28:18-20 #706
A. Jesus has risen. Appeared to the disciples over a period of 40 days, teaching them about the Kingdom of God.
B. Some of the last words to His disciples.
C. It is not just an “Oh, by the way” it appears in some form in all four gospels.
1. Mark 16:15-16- Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
2. Luke 24:46- 47- This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
3. John 20:21- Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.
D. Even in the book of Acts 1:8- But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.