Summary: A great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will build a great church
Sermon for 8/25/2002
The Great Commission
Gandhi- If it wasn’t for the Christians...
A. Sermon on the Great Commandment. A great commitment to the Great Commandment and to the Great Commission will grow a great church.
B. Now Great Commission, tied in with the Great Commandment. Why do we love? What is the purpose behind our love? From Great Commandment. Is that it?
C. Many great organizations in our community.
1. American Red Cross- humanitarian organization, helping millions of people each year prevent, prepare for, and cope with emergencies.
2. Surry Volunteer Center- Fostering an Ethic of Service in North Carolina Citizens of All Ages."
4. Altrusa- The mission of Altrusa International is to promote community service by an international network of executives and professionals in diversified career classifications.
5. Elk’s Lodge- The Elks National Foundation’s mission is “helping Elks build stronger communities.”
6. Jaycees- The Mount Airy Jaycees were established in 1954 and for the 46 years of our existence, we have been devoted to individual development and community service.
7. The Multiple Sclerosis Society- Dedicated to ending the devastating effects of Multiple Sclerosis
8. Surry Arts Council- The purpose of the Surry Arts Council is to provide opportunities for all the people of our community to experience high-quality performances and instruction in the performing and visual arts - while ensuring its continuity through financially responsible leadership.
12. Girls Scouts- It is the world’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls- all girls- where, in an accepting and nurturing environment, girls build character and skills for success in the real world.
13. Boy Scouts- The purpose of the Boy Scouts of America, incorporated on February 8, 1910, and chartered by Congress in 1916, is to provide an educational program for boys and young adults to build character, to train in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to develop personal fitness.
3. Relay for Life- American Cancer Society- The American Cancer Society is the nationwide community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives and diminishing suffering from cancer through research, education, advocacy, and service.
14. Clubs and Organizations affiliated with local schools, many others, etc.
D. These organizations are great but many times do not get to the heart of the problems.
E. Must change a person from the inside out, do good things to get their attention, not change them from the outside in. To do good things is not the end for the church, a higher purpose, a higher calling.
F. We do good works because we love God and love our fellow man. The end result- Matthew 5:16- In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
G. So that others can praise God, so that others can be Christians, so that others can know the love and peace and joy that we know through Jesus Christ. Not just to be humanitarians.