Summary: Examining the Joys of the Saved and How this Salvation is Received
- Sometimes called one of the “royal psalms”
- Victory after battle as in Ps. 20
- Kings have everything.
- If you were a king, what would you rejoice in the most?
- In what did David rejoice?
- Psalm 21 tells us what it means to be a king
- This is not just for a day but for a lifetime.
- Ps 21 the perfect complement of Ps 20 "In Thy salvation, " he says, "how greatly shall he rejoice" (v. 1). Note then-
- We are kings because we are God's children.
- Jesus Christ has made us kings and priests
- We are on the throne with the Jesus
Revelation 1:6 (AV)
6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 5:10 (AV)
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
v. 1 - "The king shall have joy in Your strength, O Lord"
- David is rejoicing in the Lord’s strength
· Strength to walk
· Strength to build
· Strength to battle
· Strength to carry the burdens of life
- Are you rejoicing today as God's king because He gives you strength?
I. The Joys of the Saved.
There is the joy of-
1 . v.2 - HEART SATISFACTION.
"Thou hast given him his heart's desire" (v. 2). God's great salvation is for the heart. He only knows to the full its nature and its need.
2 . v.2 - ANSWERED PRAYER.
- "Thou host not withholden the request of his lips. " What a privilege to ask and receive of Him who is the Creator of the universe, and the Father of our spirits.
3 . v. 3 - GOD’S GOODNESS.
- "Thou preventest (Meet, Welcome, Come before) him with the blessings of goodness"
- The God of goodness goeth before hum with his blessing, and goodness, and mercy followeth after him (Psa. 23).
4 . V.3 - BEING CROWNED WITH HONOUR.
"Thou settest a crown of pure gold upon h s head. "
- World’s glory cannot be compared with God’s favor
Matthew 4:8 (AV)
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
5 . V.4 - ETERNAL LIFE.
v.4 "He asked life of Thee; Thou gayest him length of days for ever
- Ro. 6:23 - The gift of God is eternal life."
6 . V.6 - GOD’S FELLOWSHIP.
- "Thou hast made him exceeding glad with Thy countenance"
- Ps. 16. 11 … in thy presence is fullness of joy
- Having a relationship & fellowship with the Father
7 . V.7 - PERFECT ASSURANCE.
- "Through the mercy of the Most High, he shall not be moved"
- 2 Tim 1:12
.... for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.
8 . V. 13 - SONGS OF PRAISES.
- "So will we sing and praise Thy power"
- Joy that can’t be described
- Joy that burst forth
- His saving and satisfying power is worthy of for ever.
II. How this Salvation is Received.
1 . V.4 - BY ASKING.
"He asked life of Thee, and Thou gayest it"
- Women at the well.
- John 4. 10
"If thou knewest the gift of God, ye would ask of Him"
John 16:24 (AV)
24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.
"Ask and ye shall receive."
2 . V.7 - BY TRUSTING.
- "The king trusted in the Lord"
John 3. 36 - Without faith it is impossible to please Him