Summary: Some people come to an altar during or after a service to get saved or rededicate their lives and you never see them again. What happens to them?
MARK 5:15 - MATT.8:28-34 "THE MAN THAT VANISHED"
A) This incident has often been called, "The Pig Affair."
* Jesus was doing two things in this experience: One: He was demonstrating His power to deliver
men from the darkest forces imaginable, men possessed by devils!
* He wanted the world to know that he had now combated and conquered the forces of evil!
B) Col.2:15 "And having spoiled ... he made a show ... triumphing over them ..."
* The word, "spoiled" means to disarm and strip the evil forces of all their power!
* The devil is a defeated foe, a conquered enemy! * Now he is still on the loose as a roaring lion ...
* But in the by and by, Jesus will put him into the lake of fire and brimstone where he will be
tormented forever and ever!
C) He is defeated and he knows it! * That’s why he’s working overtime today to damn every ...
* The battle between Jesus and Satan was not a hidden affair, it was done openly!
* The phrase "He made a show of them openly" portray a celebration after the battle!
D) All the spiritual world witnessed that battle and the celebration that followed!
* Jesus utterly defeated the devil, triumphed over and conquered him and now, Jesus has in His
possession the keys of death, hell and the grave!
* Col.2:15 closes with the words, "triumphing over them in it" * In the cross of the Lord Jesus,
* God the Father achieved victory over the ungodly powers of spiritual wickedness in high places
including the devil, the prince of all wicked powers! * Through the death of His Son,
* "God conquered him who had the power of death, that is the devil" - Heb.2:14
E) Two: He was demonstrating that He searches for men everywhere!
* He wants all men to be saved, even those who are the most wild and mean!
* And He wants everyone to know that He is all out to save all, even the worst of men!
F) Therefore, He set out to save two men who were as possessed with devils as could be!
* They were so possessed & acted so insane that no man would dare reach out with a helping
hand! * In fact, no man dared go near them - text "no man might pass by that way."
* We may avoid the wildest and the meanest and have little to do with those in bad conditions!
* But Christ longs to save them and change them! * 1Tim.1:15 "This is a faithful saying ......."
* What a change took place after meeting Jesus! * Tell before and after .......
* However, Matthew tells us that there were two of them in the graveyard!
* What happened to one of them? * I don’t know, but let me toss out some possibilities!
(1) MAYBE HE FORGOT WHAT JESUS DID FOR HIM!
* We need to remember how Jesus set us free! * Little boy in Sunday School was asked to say
John 3:16 ... and he said, "For God so loved ... He gave His only forgotten Son that ......."
A) We are living in a day where people are forgetting God! * Bible warnings:
* Deut.6:12 "Then beware lest thou forget the Lord, which brought thee forth out ......."
* Deut.6:19 "And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the Lord thy God, and walk after other gods,