Summary: A message on Jesus’ parable of the Prodigal Son.
THE PRODIGAL SON
INTRO: Jesus used many parables in his ministry. We sometimes fail to see the real underlying message in the Parables He used.
Today we want to see what message Jesus intended in the parable of the prodigal son.
I. THE SON LOST.
A. Rejected the father.
1. Could have been safe and secure, but he wanted to "enjoy his
2. He was only concerned with the present life.
B. The young son was lost.
1. Parallels a lost man in the world now.
a. Lost man is under God’s protection until the age of account
b. Then he chooses to leave the father.
2. Lost are only concerned with the present life.
II. THE REPENTANCE.
A. After wasting all he had, the son repented.
1. He remembered the love of his father.
2. He wanted to return to the father.
B. The lost man must do the same.
1. The father represents God.
2. The lost man must return to God.
a. God will receive him with open arms.
b. He must come in repentance.
III. THE BACKSLIDING SON.
A. The older son stayed with the father.
1. He was a Christian.
2. He parallels some of our church members.
B. He was angry that the father received his brother back.
1. As some of our church members get mad if things don’t go
2. He was a backslider.