Summary: The Word of God is living and powerful, and it has the power to transform your life today. We are going to look at seven reasons why Bible study will change your life, and how to study the Bible.
THE WORD OF GOD IS LIVING AND POWERFUL
OPENING: It’s a New Year! And one of the things I like to do at the beginning of every New Year is to share a message designed to stir up you to get into God’s Word!
• I love the Bible! This year I’m going to be reading through the NT for my 20th time, and I’m finishing reading through the OT for my 10th time. It’s a good book!
THE BIBLE = BASIC INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE LEAVING EARTH!
“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword.” (Hebrews 4:12).
THE BIG IDEA: The Word of God is living and powerful, and it has the power to transform your life today. We are going to look at seven reasons why Bible study will change your life, and how to study the Bible.
STORY: From The Red Thread by Pastor Barry Buzza.
• The story of the man who ‘smoked’ his way through the New Testament and got saved!
BIBLE STORY: Turn in your Bibles to Second Kings 22.
• This is one of the exciting stories in the Bible – of finding a lost treasure!
• Let’s look at someone who was radically changed by the Word:
• Josiah was an 8 year old boy whose grandpa Manasseh was the most wicked King in Judah; who led the nation into idolatry and even sacrificed children.
• He was a boy whose dad Amon became king when Josiah was 6, but Amon was so wicked he was assassinated two years later by his own servants.
• Josiah was raised in hell and didn’t have good examples in his life, but he didn’t have a victim mentality, and refused to become just like his biological dad.
“Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem… And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the ways of his father David… (notice that David wasn’t his biological dad – David was his great, great, great, great grandfather, and Josiah chose him for a role-model). Now it came to pass, in the eighteenth year of King Josiah, that the king sent Shaphan the scribe, to the house of the Lord.” (2 Kings 22:1-3a).
• paraphrase v. 4-7: Josiah told Shaphan to help rebuild the house of the Lord.
“Then Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the scribe, "I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the Lord." And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it. So Shaphan the scribe went to the king, bringing the king word, saying, "Your servants have gathered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of those who do the work, who oversee the house of the Lord." Then Shaphan the scribe showed the king, saying, "Hilkiah the priest has given me a book." And Shaphan read it before the king.” (2 Kings 22:8-10).
• When Josiah got a hold of the Word of God, it changed Josiah’s life!
• You don’t have to be just like your dad, or be bound by anything in your past!
• If you read on in the story, you discover that not only was Josiah’s life changed – it resulted in a REVIVAL that changed the entire nation! Do we want revival?
SEVEN REASONS WHY BIBLE STUDY WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE:
1. You will be blessed! “Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) are the undefiled who walk (order their conduct and conversation) in the law of the Lord.” (Psalm 119:1, Amplified). Quote Psalm 1 & Joshua 1:8.