Summary: Consider the cost of following Jesus
" TOO HIGH A PRICE!"
MARK 5:2-20 FOCUS ON 14-17
I wonder if we ever really consider the cost of following Jesus?
We may see numerous people come forward and kneel down and ask for salvation but do we really consider the cost of following JESUS? When I got saved the only thing that I knew was that I needed Jesus in my life because I didn’t want to go to hell. Later I realized that there was a price that I would have to pay if I was to follow him… a price that I considered too high… my choice was to run from God.
1. One day I was too tired to run any longer
2. Will I ever consider the cost too high to follow Jesus?
3. Too often we want the glory of God’s blessing without hungering for the fullness of Godly obedience
Verse 14 "And they that fled the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to
See what it was that had been done."
WHEN JESUS IS TRANSFORMING PEOPLE’S LIVES BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND PEOPLE ARE BEING DELIVERED FROM THE BONDAGE OF SIN…
A. News is going to spread and curiosity will bring those who just want to kick the tires of Christianity
B. Bring in those who just want to take a test drive but not really own it
C. Then the horse trading begins…
1. I want it but I’m just not convinced I should have it – things they don’t want to give up
2. It’s so costly to be a true believer – maybe I’ll just try to make believe
3. I want this but I’m not willing to pay for that
Verse 15 "And they came to see Jesus and him that had been possessed with the devil, and had the legion
Sitting clothed and in his right mind; AND THEY WERE AFRAID."
IT’S THE BIGGEST DECISION OF YOUR LIFE AND TO BE QUITE HONEST IT SHOULD SCARE YOU TO DEATH. NOT ONLY IS OUR SOUL ON THE LINE BUT THE ETERNAL SPIRIT OF OTHER PEOPLE WEIGHS IN THE BALANCE… BECAUSE IF YOU WON’T GIVE UP SOME THINGS THEN YOU WILL NEVER BE A DISCIPLE.
1. If I pastored this church the way some prepare to use their gifts of teaching, singing, preaching, worshiping, witnessing or visiting… oh you know what I’m talking about – JUST A LICK AND A PROMISE…
YOU WOULD RUN ME OFF!
2. Most of the time we want the titles or the recognition but we don’t want to do the job. WHY IS THAT?
TOO HIGH A PRICE TO PAY!!! MIGHT HAVE TO GIVE SOMETHING UP!
3. WE SHOULD ALSO FEAR THE CONSEQUENCE OF OUR SLOPPY CHRISTIANITY ON OTHER PEOPLE’S LIVES WHEN WE GIVE OUR SECOND BEST TO THE MISSION OF JESUS CHRIST. OTHER PEOPLE ARE DEPENDING ON US
Verse 16 and 17 " and they that saw it told them how it befell to him that was possessed with the devil and
Also concerning the swine. And they began to pray for Jesus to depart out of their land."
No matter how great the miracle or the potential blessing – MOST PEOPLE WILL REJECT THE COST OF FOLLOWING JESUS. Many pastor’s and preacher’s all over the world would love to see the presence of the Holy Spirit in their church but are unwilling to pay the cost of following Jesus…
What cost am I talking about?
a. preaching the truth instead of what people want to hear – if you come to church and the man