Summary: There are a lot of things that you can bring to any situation, but bringing your best is the ideal gift.
In the movie House Party, Kid (Christopher Reid) is dying to go to a party hosted by his friend Play (Christopher Martin). Unfortunately, Kid has gotten into some trouble with the local bullies at school and, after a note from the principal's office arrives at home, he's grounded by his strict father (the late, great Robin Harris). None the less, Kid sneaks out when his father falls asleep. When it’s all said and done, school thugs decided to bring a negative attitude to the party, Play was trying to bring a little hope during a school week, and Kid was trying to bring his best rap to the party.
In the Nativity Story, Mary is engaged to the local carpenter, Joseph. Mary is visited by an angel and told that she will fulfill a prophecy and as a virgin, give birth to God's son, the savior of the world. Mary's pregnancy brings her the scorn of the community and Joseph struggles to believe her seemingly outlandish story. Meanwhile, a census started by King Herod, forces every man and his family to return to his place of birth. In the end, Joseph and Mary, along with three wise men, set out on a long and arduous journey to Bethlehem.
My young brothers and sisters, today, God is using his word to remind us that we have a choice, as to what we will bring to those we come in contact with, what we will bring into the New Year, and most importantly—what will we bring to Jesus. The question for all of us today is simply—“What Will You Bring to the Party?”
A. DON’T BE LIKE THE KING, AND BRING NEGATIVITY TO THE PARTY
1. NEGATIVITY CAN MAKE YOU LIVE IN THE PAST (Example of someone who constantly compares today to how good everything was in the past)
2. NEGATIVITY CAN MAKE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PRESENT (Example of someone who constantly complains about everything)
3. NEGATIVITY CAN MAKE YOU MISS OUT ON YOUR FUTURE (Example of what life would be like if you replaced negative people in your circle with positive ones)
TRANS: The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him. Lamentations 3:25
B. IT IS OK TO BE LIKE MARY, AND BRING HOPE TO THE PARTY
1. THE GOOD THING ABOUT HOPE IS, IT CAN COME FROM ANYWHERE (Example how you can remind someone that when the outlook may seem bleak, the uplook is always bright)
2. THE GOOD THING ABOUT HOPE IS, IT CAN BE GIVEN ANYTIME (Example how the human spirit soars with hope, when it’s lifted by an encouraging word)
3. THE GOOD THING ABOUT HOPE IS, IT DOESN’T COST ANYTHING (Example how Mary was chosen to bring Hope because she put herself in the right position)
TRANS: Bring the best of the first fruits of your soil, to the house of the Lord your God. Exodus 23:19
C. IT IS BETTER TO BE LIKE THE WISE MEN, AND BRING YOUR BEST TO THE PARTY
1. WE NEED TO BRING OUR TIME TO THE PARTY, SO JESUS CAN BLESS IT
2. WE NEED TO BRING OUR WORSHIP TO THE PARTY, SO JESUS CAN BLESS US
3. WE NEED TO BRING OUR GIFTS TO THE PARTY, SO JESUS CAN BLESS OTHERS
In closing, remember this:
We have a choice, as to what we will bring to those we come in contact with -- don’t bring them Negativity; as we approach the New Year – it would mean a lot more to bring people Hope; and most importantly, what will we bring to Jesus? It’s only one gift that you can bring to him – He simply wants your Best. The question God is asking all of us today is—“What Will You Bring, to the Party?”
God bless you.