Summary: In this passage we read, "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus." (Acts 4:13) There is a tendency for the formally educate
In this passage we read, "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus." (Acts 4:13) There is a tendency for the formally educated to look down on those without formal degrees.
It was rare in the first century to find a learned man who did not feel a secret contempt for the ignorant and unlettered. The erudite had a mistaken overvaluation of words and logic that often blinded them to certain realities.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you to realize that the best wisdom comes through an intimate relationship and obedience to Jesus Christ.
2. The serene eloquence of Peter and John comes out in a way that all men marveled. Even the respected judges of the court sat in stupefied silence before the persuasive speech of Peter. Godly people are supernaturally enabled to become successful, influential and leaders in their field as a result of their abiding relationship with Christ.
Application: Trust the Lord to allow you to speak, relate and serve others in a way that turns their attention to Christ and His transforming power.
3. Conflicts are resolved when people gain a greater appreciation for the credibility of those accused of wrong. The memory of officials were stimulated when they heard Peter give a clear interpretation of Christ’s historic life. They clearly understood how reliable Peter’s character was as his understanding of events displayed his ability to analyze and evaluate real life.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you gain a greater ability to analyze and evaluate the events around you. Ask the Lord to allow your credibility to be enhanced with each act of service.
4. The officials of the Sanhedrin were amazed at the boldness, savvy and skill of the apostles. When a person walks in fellowship with Jesus Christ they gain greater boldness, savvy and skill in communications.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you appropriate the courage, power and self-discipline given to you in the Holy Spirit.
5. Peter and John realized that one person who stands for the truth is worth ten thousand who merely speak half-truths. The members of the Sanhedrin marveled because they were merely used to listening to people who spoke partial truths. When you speak the whole truth of God people will be amazed at what you have to say.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you to memorize and meditate on the scriptures so that you can gain a greater facility to integrate it into all aspects of your lifestyle, speech and relationships.
6. Eventually your connection with Jesus will yield great fruit if you are willing to take advantage of your opportunities. Peter and John easily could have "wimped out" by refusing to speak the truth to the Sanhedrin. Instead, the apostles knew that by speaking the truth God would give great fruit.
Application: Ask the Lord to help you take advantage of every opportunity so that you can make a significant contribution to the qualitative and quantitative growth of Christ’s church.