A. Prayer is the breath of the soul
B. Prayer is
The most powerful force accessible to man.
A lifting up our heart and soul to God: Ps 25:1; 143:8
Crying out to God: Ps 86:3
The breathing process of the Christian's soul.
5. A sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the soul to God,
A spiritual offer - insense
In prayer we
4. Come into the presence of God.
5. Communion and communication.
Come before the throne of grace: Ps 84:1-2; Heb 4:16
6. bring a spiritual sacrifice & the fruit of our lips: Heb 13:15
7. Draw close to God in friendship, and trust: Jas 4:8
Sit in heavinly places
With Prayer we
2. The oil of that kept the evangelistic engines of the first century
3. The effort of man to
Coincidences "That may be true sometimes, but I've noticed that
the more I pray the more coincidences
How should we pray
on your knees.
from the closet
live a life that God can bless
1. You cannot enter the presence of God in prayer without
confessing: Isa 6:1-5
if we want our prayers answered we shoul
amazing facts about prayer
the breath of the soul
the… of prayer
Answered prayer is God bending down to kiss his children.
1. Benefits is psychological: if so then heathen would receive
same by praying to a fence post.
listen to God in public if we would have God listen to us in private."
Eph 6:10 armor
a) Intercession: lit, "to soften the face by stroking" as a child does
on a wing and a prayer
Fig. to arrive or fly in with one's plane in very bad condition. (Sometimes used fig. of other vehicles. *Typically: come (in) ~; arrive ~.) Finally we could see the plane through the smoke, coming in on a wing and a prayer.
not have a prayer
to be not at all likely to succeed (often + of ) She hasn't a prayer of winning the competition.
See also: have, prayer
Excuses for not praying
3. Miracles have ceased therefore God won't answer prayer.
2. Why pray - God knows what we need? God, as a Father, wants
us to ask like a kid
11. The best way to fight sin is
D. Faithless objections to prayer:
E. We prove our love and faith in God by the time we spend in
F. Prayerlessness is sin: 1 Sam 12:23
G. Prayer characterized Jesus, apostles, early Christians, great men
H. Prayer gives us
strength in every area of our walk
1. Boldness in outreach: "up-reach, in-reach, then out-reach"
3. joy and peace that surpasses all understanding
4. Courage in difficult times
I. Two different types of prayer
1. Closet prayers: Jesus in Gethsemene
2. Arrow prayers: Neh 2:4
K. We learn to swim by swimming. ride a bike by riding. how
to pray by... praying.
Wrong way to pray
J. We don't get God's attention with flowery words, but with a
humble & contrite heart
3. God won't answer our prayers when there is sin in our lives:
a) Ps 139:23-24; 66:18; Pr 28:9,13; Isa 59:1
4. God won't forgive us unless we forgive others too: Mt 6:14-15
II. A.C.T.S. OF PRAYER (types of
A. ADORATION & PRAISE: 2 Cor 9:15
1. "Putting into words the gratitude that ought to swell up in our
hearts whenever we review all that God has done for us."
2. Passages: Ps 89:7-9; 99:1-5; 111:9; Angels: Lk 2:14; Rev 4:8,11
B. CONFESSION: 1 Jn 1:9
(2) V 18-19 "not our merits but your compassion"
b) Nehemiah: 1:5-11
thanksgiving Phil 4:6
5. Consequences of not confessing our sins to God:
a) We make God a liar: 1 Jn 1:9-10
c) It has a big effect upon our physical health too: Ps 32:3-7
a) Adoration is for what God is
b) Thanksgiving is for what God has done
a) Isa 25:1; 1 Th 5:17-18; Phil 4:6; Col 4:2; Eph 5:20
b) Song, "count your many blessings name them one by one"
3. Ingratitude is sin:
a) Lk 17:11-19 "where are the nine lepers who were cleansed"
b) Rom 1:21 "neither did they give thanks"
1. Petitions for a personal request: Phil 4:6
a) wisdom: Jas 1:5-8
b) Health: 2 Cor 12:7-9
c) Daily needs: Mt 6:33
d) Resting temptation: Mt 26:41
2. Intercessions for others:
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Bruce Howell on Dec 29, 2000
Contributed by Simon Rundell on Jan 19, 2001
Contributed by Paul Fritz on Oct 18, 2000
To personalize the interpretation and application of any scripture use the following acrostic: S-P-A-C-E-P-E-T-S (Sin to Confess - Promise to Claim - Attitude to Change - Command to Obey - Example to Follow - Person to Imitate - Error to Avoid - Truth t
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
We should not abuse the family with our faith.