A. Prayer is the breath of the soul
B. Prayer is
The most powerful force accessible to man.
A lifting up our heart and soul to God: Ps 25:1; 143:8
Crying out to God: Ps 86:3
The breathing process of the Christian's soul.
5. A sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the soul to God,
A spiritual offer - insense
In prayer we
4. Come into the presence of God.
5. Communion and communication.
Come before the throne of grace: Ps 84:1-2; Heb 4:16
6. bring a spiritual sacrifice & the fruit of our lips: Heb 13:15
7. Draw close to God in friendship, and trust: Jas 4:8
Sit in heavinly places
With Prayer we
2. The oil of that kept the evangelistic engines of the first century
3. The effort of man to
Coincidences "That may be true sometimes, but I've noticed that
the more I pray the more coincidences
How should we pray
on your knees.
from the closet
live a life that God can bless
1. You cannot enter the presence of God in prayer without
confessing: Isa 6:1-5
if we want our prayers answered we shoul
amazing facts about prayer
the breath of the soul
the… of prayer
Answered prayer is God bending down to kiss his children.
1. Benefits is psychological: if so then heathen would receive
same by praying to a fence post.
listen to God in public if we would have God listen to us in private."
Eph 6:10 armor
a) Intercession: lit, "to soften the face by stroking" as a child does
on a wing and a prayer
Fig. to arrive or fly in with one's plane in very bad condition. (Sometimes used fig. of other vehicles. *Typically: come (in) ~; arrive ~.) Finally we could see the plane through the smoke, coming in on a wing and a prayer.
not have a prayer
to be not at all likely to succeed (often + of ) She hasn't a prayer of winning the competition.
See also: have, prayer
Excuses for not praying
3. Miracles have ceased therefore God won't answer prayer.
2. Why pray - God knows what we need? God, as a Father, wants
us to ask like a kid
11. The best way to fight sin is
D. Faithless objections to prayer:
E. We prove our love and faith in God by the time we spend in
F. Prayerlessness is sin: 1 Sam 12:23
G. Prayer characterized Jesus, apostles, early Christians, great men
H. Prayer gives us
strength in every area of our walk
1. Boldness in outreach: "up-reach, in-reach, then out-reach"
3. joy and peace that surpasses all understanding
4. Courage in difficult times
I. Two different types of prayer
1. Closet prayers: Jesus in Gethsemene
2. Arrow prayers: Neh 2:4
K. We learn to swim by swimming. ride a bike by riding. how
to pray by... praying.
Wrong way to pray
J. We don't get God's attention with flowery words, but with a
humble & contrite heart
3. God won't answer our prayers when there is sin in our lives:
a) Ps 139:23-24; 66:18; Pr 28:9,13; Isa 59:1
4. God won't forgive us unless we forgive others too: Mt 6:14-15
II. A.C.T.S. OF PRAYER (types of
A. ADORATION & PRAISE: 2 Cor 9:15
1. "Putting into words the gratitude that ought to swell up in our
hearts whenever we review all that God has done for us."
2. Passages: Ps 89:7-9; 99:1-5; 111:9; Angels: Lk 2:14; Rev 4:8,11
B. CONFESSION: 1 Jn 1:9
(2) V 18-19 "not our merits but your compassion"
b) Nehemiah: 1:5-11
thanksgiving Phil 4:6
5. Consequences of not confessing our sins to God:
a) We make God a liar: 1 Jn 1:9-10
c) It has a big effect upon our physical health too: Ps 32:3-7
a) Adoration is for what God is
b) Thanksgiving is for what God has done
a) Isa 25:1; 1 Th 5:17-18; Phil 4:6; Col 4:2; Eph 5:20
b) Song, "count your many blessings name them one by one"
3. Ingratitude is sin:
a) Lk 17:11-19 "where are the nine lepers who were cleansed"
b) Rom 1:21 "neither did they give thanks"
1. Petitions for a personal request: Phil 4:6
a) wisdom: Jas 1:5-8
b) Health: 2 Cor 12:7-9
c) Daily needs: Mt 6:33
d) Resting temptation: Mt 26:41
2. Intercessions for others:
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Russell Brownworth on Dec 11, 2000
Or would you be more like the woman who was bitten by a rabid dog, and it looked like she was going to die from rabies. The doctor told her to put her final affairs in order. So the woman took pen and paper, and began writing furiously. In fact she wrote and wrote and wrote. Finally the doctor ...read more
Contributed by Bruce Howell on Dec 29, 2000
JACKIE ROBINSON was the first African American to play baseball in the major leagues. Breaking baseball’s color barrier, he faced hostile crowds in every stadium. While playing one day in his home stadium of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, he committed an error. The fans began to jeer him. He ...read more
Contributed by Simon Rundell on Jan 19, 2001
The devout priest was caught in a flood one day, and he climbed onto the roof of his Vicarage and as the water started lapping up over the roof he prayed “Lord, deliver me from this flood”. The water continued to rise and a policeman in a rowing boat passed: “Can I help you ...read more
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
Crystal Michelle, a 10th Grade in Bigelow, Arkansas isn’t buying it. She won’t settle for anything but extreme intimacy, here’s an excerpt from an essay she wrote. "Hey, My name is Crystal Michelle. I decided to wait for sex among other things a while back. I have pledged to ...read more
Contributed by Richard Jones on Nov 1, 2000
Many years ago, executives of the Time-Life publishing organization discovered that the company’s profit margin had shrunk to an alarmingly low level. Consequently, they began an intensive effort to try to cut costs. Efficiency experts suggested that substantial savings could be effected ...read more
Contributed by Paul Fritz on Oct 18, 2000
To personalize the interpretation and application of any scripture use the following acrostic: S-P-A-C-E-P-E-T-S (Sin to Confess - Promise to Claim - Attitude to Change - Command to Obey - Example to Follow - Person to Imitate - Error to Avoid - Truth t
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
We should not abuse the family with our faith.