is it so? NO, NO, AND - mil times NO – NOT!
But I want to show you that God did get married.
Blasphemy, you say, NOT SO, It’s irreverent, sacrilegious – and not true
But He really did! Hear me out.
Long, long ago in a land far far away God chose for himself a wife and proposed –her. She accepted the proposal and they got married.
It was a match made – heaven, between a bride - Groom
They had an old-fashioned wedding, with a preacher and witnesses
They exchanged wedding vows. He said I will - she said I do To love and to hold through sickness and health till death do us part) and God signed on the dotted line - they even had - reception they ate and drank together.
Then God left His home, moved in with her and
They went on honeymoon
And they lived happily ever after….
She was unfaithful - fooled around
God had no choice but to give her - letter of divorce
However, God is a God –relationships and He would not give up - Her; He is Working hard - reunite – her to himself and - renew – wedding vows.
–vows. get married again.
You say, I’ve heard just about enough now, this is off the wall, Unbiblical, and sacrilegious - solo Scriptura.
OK, let’s examine it verse by verse scripture/scripture here/there –little- would you be happy with that
I have likened the daughter of Zion To a lovely and delicate woman. “I will allure her, And speak comfort to her.19 “I will betroth you to Me in faithfulness, lovingkindness and mercy, I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. and “you will call Me ‘My Husband, And no longer call Me ‘My Master.
17 but you have taken your beautiful jewelry from My gold and My silver which I had given you, and made for yourself male images and played the harlot with them.
Fact is, God selected and elected –Israel as - Royal priesthood – holy nation peculiar people. To be - light to - Gentiles
She was supposed– stay pure - conserve herself to Him alone,
o But, Israel - Apostatized: again and again - over and over – over – again - she rejected Gods love
• 17 , The prophets prophesy falsely, the priests rule by their own power and your daughters commit harlotry, You have also made for yourself images and played the harlot with them. Ezek 16:32 32 “How degenerate is your heart!” says the Lord GOD, “seeing you do all these things, the deeds of a brazen harlot. You are an adulterous wife, who takes strangers instead of her husband and My people love to have it so. But what will you do in the end? (Will I find faith on earth);(still) My people ask counsel from their (Itching ears – gathering teachers)wooden idols
• Through the Prophet Hosea we find - best demonstration - God’s intimate love - affection towards His people.
• God told Hosea: Hosea, your bachelor days are over.
• Hosea must have been looking fwd to meet - Wife - that very special person-Godly women – who would complete him
• But, the Lord said to Hosea: “Go, take yourself a wife of harlotry And children of harlotry, For the land has committed great harlotry By departing from the Lord.”
He was probably saying to himself: OK, I get it, my wife came out of harlotry, she must be a - babe in Christ– this is going to be great, I will show her the ropes - Thank you Lord, I cant wait.
• Where is she Lord?
• You’re looking at her
• Where Lord? I don’t see her,
I know you don’t recognize her. Yesterday she was - blonde - today its red but Look again - street corner. that’s her.
You see - Gomer was, well, shall we say, a bit promiscuous – She was a lady of - night – floozy and rotten to - core -Represented Israel
Lord, surely, you’re not serious; there must be some mistake.
NO, NO MISTAKE - GO - PROPOSE - HER - TAKE HER - BRIDE.
• Lord, I cannot do it:
• Just Look at her Did you see those
o Red lips - black eyes and - fish net stockings
o She’s a spectacle and - public disgrace
• What would the people say,
• No one will accept her
• It would hurt my ministry.
• Besides, jewelry and makeup is definite no no–our church.
Surely you didn’t mean to pick – me a floozy for – wife
THAT’S THE ONE!
• O by the way, did I mention she’s a harlot?
A, WHAAAAT!!! No, You probably meant to say she was a harlot
NO, I meant every word, go – propose – take - wife
• Lord, they say you have a sense – humor but this is a bit much.
o Seriously God, you’re joking - right
• NO, IM NOT JOKING
GO PROPOSE - HER -TAKE HER - WIFE
o Butt butt butt,t Lord
You said, Marriage is honorable and the bed - undefiled; were you not the one who said - we shouldn’t unequally yoked together.
Thank you Lord, it’s a great idea but I’m sure you won’t mind if I sit this one out
And come to think of it,
• I really do not deserve to have such a pretty lady as a wife, really - I don’t.
• , Just let me have a dog - well be just fine,– mans bes Mse me mme and spot
NO, I WANT YOU TO PROPOSE AND TAKE GOMER AS - WIFE
GOD WAS CLEAR, GO - PROPOSE - HER.
Lord, you do know what you’re asking, right? Is there anything I can say or do that would make you change your mind?
To expect a man of God, to marry - prostitute is unthinkable, its irrational, unreasonable and Unacceptable.
It shows the extent to which God would go to have - relationship – His people
Hosea in obedience must have mumbled
o Why me Lord?
o What have I done to deserve this
o OK, Lord, I guess.
So, they tied the knot
Hosea was determined to love her out of her old ways, but - he quickly finds out – Old habits die-hard; she is entrenched - immersed – in - lifestyle of- prostitution.
And He quickly becomes - talk of town.
They were famous, The paparazzi were everywhere, His photo made– front page of every magazine: Headlines: “prophet marries call girl” Her photo made the center fold
Gossip spreads - PSST, Do you remember that crazy chick who flirted with you yesterday, yes, what about her? Get this, Hosea, “the prophet” married Her. No way, she’s a harlot.
Being married to Gomer was not walk in the park - not romantic at all
• Drifting of into sweet dreams of, stolen kisses and candle light dinners, he awoke to a life of emptiness and abandonment.
• After worship service he would return to a messy house, a crying baby and no sign of Gomer. She would be working the graveyard shift. And he would think, ‘oh no, she’s at it again!
With a broken heart and tears in - eyes He would search for his sweetheart all night, only to find her in a brothel
Smelling like smoke, alcohol, and cheap perfume she would come home used, bruised and defiled.
• He would Lovingly invite – back and nurse her contaminated body back to health, It broke his heart, how could it not?
• Some nights while in bed he would reach out for her and she wouldn’t be there. In desperation He said, ‘I loved and
He loved her and provided for her, what more could he do
• It was a hopeless – situation
• She slips out in - middle – night and Wakes up in strange unfamiliar places, Comes home late – or should I say – early
• Rejects his love and nicknamed him doofis
• His intention – pure.
• Over - over again she rejects him and left him cold
• It was – sad, sad situation
What did Hosea do about it
did he - Scream and yelled at her beating her to - pulp-, NO!
Did he call his attorney to serve - divorce papers- NO!
He did not even send her back to her mother – that’s what I would - done
• His love was pure, genuine and unconditional
• He was compassionate gentle kind and committed to make - relationship work He was in it for - long hall.
• (How deep is your love)
you are saying
Hosea, Hosea, you’ve done enough, give it up already. I don’t wanna tell you what to do, but If I Were you, I know what I would do. I would - count my losses and move on. She’s just not worth it, she’s playing with your emotions
But, before you draw your religious scalpels and point your pious finger at Gomer—let me take this opportunity to remind you that there is a Gomer in you.
You may not be a bimbo or labeled as hooker - SCARLET WOMAN or soiled dove but
- Wishy washy
We - Compromise – principles and Misplace - priorities
Spend - time on anything and everything, but God
We ignore Gods voice and - reject His love –
We eagerly run after Satan and the pleasures this world.
What about you?
Are you hanging onto a life - sin, looking for a relationship in all - wrong places?
Your Heavenly Father is saying –
- You’ve been flirting with satan far too long now. I’ve been looking - you ‘every day —I rarely see you, mostly when in trouble…but Ive been calling
- ‘Why do you keep - breaking My heart?’ I gave you life and bought your redemption with my blood but
- but You are too Sophisticated to - lift up holy hands – praise My Name and say Jesus, I love you
- Too busy to stop - meditate on My love and
- Proud to say I need You Lord
- too Shy to pray in public
- Wallowing in a whirlpool of sin and the pleasures of this world we are we are–having a rendezvous with Satan – and - playing the harlot with God
Why are you breaking my heart? I want to come close ~ give you Love, - peace - surpasses all understanding
Come to me all ye.. – Heavy laden – give you rest. I will bless you and keep you, but do you love me enough to let your pimp go?
We live for worldly gain – Don’t we?
This is the Gomer in me/you.
We have - tendency rebel, this is exactly why we are unqualified to Judge- same boatBeam
Before you look down on Gomer the prostitute, examine the prostitute in - you.
I am well acquainted with - Gomer in me, what about you, can you relate.
I thank God that He never gave up on me; I gave up on myself many times, but
God specializes in qualifying the unqualified, using ~ unusable - and recycling those - messed up!
Through the blood - Jesus Christ, trash can be recycled - turned into treasure.
Have you been
When you’ve been neglected and rejected; When your- trust been broken and it left –you with -scar - heart?
When you have messed, gave up and fallen back, Jesus is saying (I will never leave - forsake) (a broken reed) I will keep on loving you until you learn – how - love Me back
You too, can be marked…damaged by sin, restored into – image - God and living a life of victory (that can be your future!)
• Did you loose your first love? Have you fallen out of love broken your- commitment God
Buy eye salve - see
((Past tense) (present tense) (future tense) …Back to the future)
God is saying, you might have shaken – fist at God -ignored - rejected the whisper - Holy Spirit - still small voice given up on yourself but
o You are the love of my life - apple of My eye
o Ive got you - palm - My hand
o I have Plans – you - prosper you….
o I have loved you – everlasting love and
• I will Never leave – nor forsake - as long as you live
God wants you to know
He is searching for your heart He wants - wash you in - blood -Lamb, (whiter than snow)
• You might be saying, Iv’e gone too far – beyond – point – no return. God cannot take me back - I am too attached to my sins. And I do not feel - spiritual right now, - I don’t think I will ever again, I’m to deep in it –I’m a hypocrite
Really!? - You’ve got nothing on Gomer
• (He who has began a good work in you will complete - unto - end)
What I love about God is this:
When you’ve been
~ Used and abused
Rejected neglected and
~Torn apart by sin and
when your - life lays - shambles
Jesus is saying:
You who weary and heavy-laden, I stand at – door knock. If anyone should hear my voice and open – door,– will come in. Look, I’ve set before you - open door – no one shut.– Come in and I will give - rest you will seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the Lord:
Draw nigh – Me– and I – nigh – you. him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out.
John 1: 12as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God,… For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
God looked beyond - faults and paid - ultimate price to win – back.
He saved us to bring us into - relationship with Himself
He was Crucified so that we - live – by His stripes – healed
God offers you something
- you’ve never been offered before
When you invite Jesus into – life. He gives - new life – old things – passed away – you’re - new creation – brand new man - all things – become new.
When Jesus comes into – life, He brings acceptance, joy - peace and stability.
John 6:37 John 6:37
God’s love is not measured by our love
‘…while we were yet sinners...Christ died for us.’
Our love is conditional. ‘What’s in it for me?’
~clocks in late and leaves early;
while I was While I was still dipping - tipping. –Doing my own thing God loved me (infinite)
That old man of sin don’t have any more power over you, crucify him, you’re - new creation, brand – new man. Heir of – Kingdom – family - one
When I was hurting Him.
I can hear Wedding bells – marriage supper – lamb - will you show up
Hosea and Gomer's story is the story of God and Israel. It is also our story. When we, like Gomer, were enslaved, God bought us back. When we found ourselves stuck in chains of insecurity, discontentment or fear—God freed us.
That's the message of the whole Bible, isn't it? At a manger in Bethlehem, God entered the slave market - paid the full price for our freedom.
Gomer did not deserve to be redeemed. Her behavior did not merit such mercy. Israel did not deserve God's faithful betrothal. Their unfaithfulness did not merit such mercy. You and I do not deserve salvation. Our sin does not merit such mercy.
• Why did God redeem you?
• Why did Jesus pay the ultimate price for your redemption?
• Why does God continue to give His unconditional love to a people who continually throw it away?
It's not because we deserve it; it's because His mercy demands it. Aren't you glad God does not treat us as our sin deserves? (Ps. 103:10) God chose you and loves you. This love story is your story. Even if you are faithless, He will remain faithful.
• If you are enslaved, God will buy you back.
• If you are lost, God will find you.
• If you are ashamed, God will cover you.
• If you wander off, God will bring you home.
• If you give up on Him, God will not give up on you.
• No matter where you are, God sees who you are, and He loves you.
Through the story of Hosea, God tenderly touches your arm and whispers, "Come home. My love sets you free. When you get tired of striving and wandering, I'll be there to draw you to Myself again and remind you who you are in Christ."
The Gospel was never meant for Israel only, they were called as a light to the gentiles
In Jer 31:31- 33 God promises: 31 “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with My people— 32 not according to My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. And I will give them one heart, and I will be their God.
Deut 30: if you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul; and obey His voice I will put a new spirit within you; will take the stony heart out will give them an heart of flesh:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God. (so Having a heart of flesh means keeping his commandments and walking in them)
to keep His commandments and His statutes and the Lord will again rejoice over you 10
(so Having a heart of flesh means keeping his commandments and walking in them)The Lord said: 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him - If you love me keep my commandments (so, keeping the commandments is a test of love) if you Love me – Keep my commandments
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Russell Brownworth on Dec 11, 2000
Or would you be more like the woman who was bitten by a rabid dog, and it looked like she was going to die from rabies. The doctor told her to put her final affairs in order. So the woman took pen and paper, and began writing furiously. In fact she wrote and wrote and wrote. Finally the doctor ...read more
Contributed by Bruce Howell on Dec 29, 2000
JACKIE ROBINSON was the first African American to play baseball in the major leagues. Breaking baseball’s color barrier, he faced hostile crowds in every stadium. While playing one day in his home stadium of Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, he committed an error. The fans began to jeer him. He ...read more
Contributed by Simon Rundell on Jan 19, 2001
The devout priest was caught in a flood one day, and he climbed onto the roof of his Vicarage and as the water started lapping up over the roof he prayed “Lord, deliver me from this flood”. The water continued to rise and a policeman in a rowing boat passed: “Can I help you ...read more
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
Crystal Michelle, a 10th Grade in Bigelow, Arkansas isn’t buying it. She won’t settle for anything but extreme intimacy, here’s an excerpt from an essay she wrote. "Hey, My name is Crystal Michelle. I decided to wait for sex among other things a while back. I have pledged to ...read more
Contributed by Richard Jones on Nov 1, 2000
Many years ago, executives of the Time-Life publishing organization discovered that the company’s profit margin had shrunk to an alarmingly low level. Consequently, they began an intensive effort to try to cut costs. Efficiency experts suggested that substantial savings could be effected ...read more
Contributed by Paul Fritz on Oct 18, 2000
To personalize the interpretation and application of any scripture use the following acrostic: S-P-A-C-E-P-E-T-S (Sin to Confess - Promise to Claim - Attitude to Change - Command to Obey - Example to Follow - Person to Imitate - Error to Avoid - Truth t
Contributed by James Wilson on Nov 23, 2000
We should not abuse the family with our faith.