Some Christian guys (the Harris brothers) created a website and group designed to lead people to Christ and to correct some wrongs in society. On their website at therebelution.com they have done one of the greatest polls ever done on the issue of clothes and modesty. They asked 100s of questions to thousands of men, and got what the American male sees as modest and immodest. Would you like the results?
*We have to realize that this information may have an impact on how some girls feel (technically that is good). But it does pinpoint sin to one gender. Just mention that if we were doing a lesson on touch or choice words or other stuff that is more geared towards males, the opposite affect would take place.
**Also, just because a majority of men think something is immodest, it does not necessarily mean that. Of course the opposite is also true, just because few men think something is immodest, doesn’t make it so.
This is going to be given to you ladies so you can have some understanding as to what men think, cool?
Suggestion: keep track of all of those higher than 40% (or those lower than 60% if it is a reverse statement):
THE QUESTIONS (ALL ANSWERS ARE DIVIDED INTO AGREE/DISAGREE):
1. Modesty is an important feature for a future wife to have. 95.4% Agree
2. You have less respect for an immodest girl than a modest one. 75.6% Agree
3. Character, intelligent, and personality are more important than physical beauty. 91.1% Agree
4. Zipping a form-fitting jacket just below the chest draws too much attention to the bust. 56.8% Agree
5. Denim jackets with faded sections on the chest draw too much attention to the bust. 31.9% Agree
6. Leotards, sheer skirts, and tutus in theatre or dance performances are immodest. 35.8% Agree
7. Immodest clothing is less of a problem for you when a friend wears it. 14.3% Agree
8. A technically modest outfit can be a stumbling block when it has attached sexual 61.8% Agree
associations (such as Brittney Spears wearing a school girl outfit)
9. It is okay for girls to wear tighter and/or more revealing clothes if they are working out. 26.3% Agree
10. Showing any cleavage is immodest. 70.4% Agree
11. Bending over so that cleavage is visible down the front of the shirt/dress is a stumbling 89.8% Agree block.
12. It is a stumbling block when a girl reaches into her shirt to adjust her bra strap. 65.4% Agree
Related Text Illustrations
Contributed by Melvin Newland on Apr 16, 2001
Maybe you’ve heard about the preacher who was visiting various classes during the Sunday School Hour to see how they were doing. One Sunday he visited the class of 6th grade boys. They were talking about things in the O.T. He listened for a while & then asked, “Who knows who ...read more
Contributed by Steve Malone on Aug 6, 2001
I know that sometimes it seems that everybody and his brother wants something from you. IT HAD BEEN A HARD WINTER IN THE ROCKIES. THE SNOW PILED DEEPER AND DEEPER. THE TEMPERATURE DROPPED BELOW ZERO AND STAYED THERE. THE RIVERS FROZE OVER. PEOPLE WERE SUFFERING. THE RED CROSS USED ...read more
Contributed by Jeffrey Sackett on Jan 24, 2003
think of how often in scripture it is the woman who is the vehicle for ministry. Who prompted Jesus to perform His first miracle? A Woman! Who ministered to Christ during His public ministry? The women! Who anointed the body of Jesus? The women! Who stayed with Jesus throughout his trial and ...read more
A Real Education PRO
Contributed by Sermoncentral on Apr 2, 2003
A REAL EDUCATION According to a news report, a certain private school in Victoria recently was faced with a unique problem. A number of 12-year-old girls were beginning to use lipstick and would put it on in the bathroom. That was fine, but after they put an their lipstick they would press their ...read more
Too Late To Date PRO
Contributed by Sermoncentral on Apr 5, 2003
*Too Late To Date* An elderly woman died last month. Having never married, she requested no male pallbearers. In her handwritten instructions for her memorial service, she wrote, "They wouldn’t take me out while I was alive, I don’t want them to ...read more