The church is not:
* An ark for the saving of a select few.
* A ferryboat to take effortless passengers to the shores of heaven.
* A life insurance company, with no obligation on policy holders except the payment of a small annual premium.
* A social set, welcoming certain people and excluding others from its fellowship.
* A Sunday pleasure club for the providing of pleasant occupation on the day of rest.
The church is:
* A lifeboat for the rescue of sin-wrecked and perishing souls.
* A family, in which love and service are expected from each member to each member.
* An organized community, with constant activities and continual growth and development.
* A company of believers who have found the one way of life and obey the one Lord of life.
* A union of those who love...Continue reading this sermon illustration (Free with PRO)
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Kenneth Burisek on Apr 12, 2005
One day in the South Pacific, a navy ship saw smoke coming from one of three huts on an uncharted island. Upon arriving at the shore they were met by a shipwreck survivor. He said, "I’m so glad you’re here! I’ve been alone on this island for more than five years!" The captain replied, "If ...read more
Contributed by Paul Fritz on Oct 18, 2000
A leader is a person with a magnet in his heart and a compass in his ...read more
Contributed by Lou Nicholes on Jan 7, 2005
On January 6, 1941, Franklin D. Roosevelt addressed Congress as to the state of the war in Europe. Most of what he said that day has been forgotten. However at the close of his address, he said that he looked forward "to a world founded upon four essential ...read more
Contributed by Bruce Howell on Mar 25, 2004
“He Proved Them Wrong” They told him he wasn’t good enough. He was too slow and too small to compete with men who were bigger and faster. The only thing the coach said was, “You’re not good enough to play for us. Turn in your helmet.” He packed everything he owned into a 6 ...read more
Contributed by Dr. Ronald Shultz on Nov 27, 2012
Who's in Church that is keeping you out?
Contributed by Timothy Gardner on Nov 27, 2012
The word "Church" is so often used out of context. This sermon series helps the church (the people) identify how God defines church buy using seven different analogies found in the Bible. This is the introduction sermon to the series. There are eight serm
Contributed by Scott Bayles on Mar 14, 2012
This expository sermon series is adapted from Max Lucado's book, Out Live Your Life, and credit for most the series belong to him. Outlines are original. In Acts 4, we see the church was Fearless with Persecution, Faithful with Prayer, and Free with Posse