1. The 1990 Kinsey Report states that around 50% of all married
people will commit adultery during their lifetime.
a. The number is usually about 5% higher among men.
b. Women are less likely to commit adultery but not by much.
2. Some other studies propose even higher numbers than the ones given
above claiming that the adultery rate is around 70%.
a. I find that number hard to believe.
b. I don’t think it is 70% and I find the 50% number a little hard
to swallow as well.
c. Whatever the number it is too high.
3. An article in a 1997 issue of Newsweek magazine noted that various
surveys suggest that as many as 30 percent of male Protestant
ministers have had sexual relationships with women other than
4. The Journal of Pastoral Care in 1993 reported a survey of Southern Baptist pastors in which 14 percent acknowledged they had engaged
in "sexual behavior inappropriate to a minister."
5. A 1988 survey of nearly 1000 Protestant clergy by Leadership magazine found that 12 percent admitted to sexual intercourse outside of marriage. The researchers also interviewed nearly 1000 subscribers
to Christianity Today who were not pastors. Of those 1000 people, 23 percent had engaged extramarital sex
6. The numbers are both good and bad.
i. The level of adultery within the church is half of what the
national level is.
ii. The level of adultery among ministers is 1\5th of the
national level is.
b. The Bad:
i. 1 in every 4 Christians has committed adultery.
ii. 1 in every 10 ministers has committed adultery, thus
ruining their ministries and tainting the church.
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Chip Monck on Feb 15, 2005
The Life You've Always Wanted, John Orteberg writes; Sometime ago I was giving a bath to our 3 children. I had a custom of bathing together, more to save time than anything else. I knew that eventually I would have to stop group bathing, but for the time being it seemed efficient. Johnny was ...read more
Contributed by Troy Borst on Aug 19, 2004
ILLUSTRATION... “What if God Was One of Us?” by Joan Osborne The world sometimes wonders about God and wonders what He is like and what He is up to. Most people believe there is a God up there but they do not know what He is like. A pop song in 1995 by Joan Osbourne entitled, ’What if God was ...read more
Contributed by Steve Shepherd on Feb 23, 2015
God’s wisdom reveals the truth and gives us some guidelines to follow in order to avoid the sin of adultery. 1- Store up God’s Word to overcome 2- Following smooth talk leads to trouble 3- Guard the heart for victory over sin