Summary: 1. It’s a Battle for the Mind 2. We Only Lose When We Choose to Lose 3. Change Our Thinking
Dr. Donald Gray Barnhouse (1895-1960) Presbyterian Minister Radio Preacher, Editor of Eternity magazine Author – He lived with his family in France during his student days. On their dinner table sat a little promise book that held about 200 promises from the bible which was read each day at meal time
One day Dr. Barnhouse had the opportunity to lead a French girl to Christ. She often came to the Barnhouse home and saw the family reading these verses. Unable to find one she made her own out of slips of paper. During WWII she found herself in distress with no food available except potato peelings from a restaurant, her children were emaciated and their clothing were mere rags. In desperation she turned to her promise box and cried out in dispar, “O Lord is there a promise that I can have in this time of distress, famine, nakedness & peril”? Blinded by her tears she reached for her promise box and knocked it over and the promise papers showered down around her, upon her lap and floor. Not one was left in the box. Suddenly she realized that it was not just one promise that was available to her but all of God’s promises were hers. Joy & strength returned to her life. She was able to trust His sufficiency in the hour of her greatest need.
- All his promises are ours
- Rom 8:31-39 has 6 Promises
- v. 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 39
❶ It’s a Battle for the Mind
Prov 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he ....
The attitudes inside you are like a jack-in-the box. Have you ever played with one of them? You turn the little handle
(All around the mulberry bush The monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought ’twas all in fun. Pop! goes the weasel..)
- When you least expect it - he pops out.
- Now that’s a vivid picture of our attitude, when we least expect it, they will pop out and cause other people to like or dis-like us.
Romans 12:2 KJV
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
JB Phillips Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-mould your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good
Philip 4:8-9 - Finally brethren, whatsoever things are, true ... think on these things ..... and the God of peace shall be with you
❷ We Only Lose When We Choose to Lose
- When we choose to gaze on something else
1. We are what we think ..... We are.
2. We have control over our thoughts - Josh 24:15
3. It is Christ that helps us to have control.
- 19 x Deity found here
5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- What is on the inside is what we really are before God & Man
Late 1979-1981 — 52 U.S. diplomats were held hostage for 444 days after a group of militants took over the American embassy After the crisis one of the hostages gave an interview and said (paraphrasing), "We had no idea that amount of publicity our situation received in America. If we had known about it, it would have made our captivity more bearable, because our captors did everything they could to make us think we had been forgotten by our own country."
❸ Change Our Thinking - Rom 8:31-35
- Often we read our lives as being:
1. Defeated - v.31
2. Accused - v. 33
3. Judged - v. 34
4. Abandoned - v. 35
- Note the downward spiral & hopelessness
- Each of these are answered with a question because we have the answer in Christ
- v. 34 - Jesus stands between each of these attitudes
Remember - v.34
- Christ died for us,
- Christ rose for us,
- Christ reigns in power for us,
- Christ prays for us!
v. 37 We are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
Psalm 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
- Our lives have been ruined by our thoughts actions & attitudes
- It’s time to surrender to Him who loved us & died for us
- We need “The Touch of the Master’s Hand”
- I have trusted in Your mercy . . . . I will sing to the Lord. --Psalm 13:5-6